Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

IE Pop up controls..

ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 11:23AM
I don't seem to be getting this trouble, even when I use IE which is not often (I mostly use Star Office 5.2). However, the sites which I maintain do have pop-ups on the index page (They charge you less if you have them as they are advertising for the Hosts). I always advise people to click on the page you were looking at and the pop-up will disappear behind it. If you delete it, it will come back again if you visit the index page (leave it behind the pages and it won't).
UserHasLeft 18 654
12 Sep 2004 12:47PM
I don't have trouble with popups but get very irritated by a 'pop-under' which often materialises when I open Windows Explorer. None of my popup controls seem to stop it (ADAware, Norton, Google etc). Would be extremely grateful if anyone has experience of encountering this and successfully nipping it in the bud.

I can also highly recommend Firefox - started using it when my IE went caput and find it's interface and functionality very very good.
tiptoe 17 267
12 Sep 2004 1:36PM
I used to be driven mad by these pop-ups and unders but then I downloaded the Google toolbar and it seems to have stopped them. Of course I rarely get time to visit much beyond this site so maybe I'm just not getting out and about enoughSmile
M♥
User_Removed 17 1.4k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 2:28PM
I am now useing firefox, and i very rarely visit any other site other than this one...

I'll just see how firefox goes eh?

Thanks for the advice peeps
Take care
Craig ☺
LAF 18 1.7k
12 Sep 2004 3:20PM
Sorry, I quite like IE!

Don't have any problems with ads, using Norton Internet security 2004 (level: High), whcih as well as having good firewall, Anti Virus and stuff now has an ad-blocker that work beautifully. Use this in conjunction with Spybot (awesome spyware removal and guarding, and it's free!).

Will download Firefox though as (as a web developer) I suppose I should conduct more rigourous testing for non- IE browsers!

Lee.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
12 Sep 2004 6:21PM
I'm quite happy with IE. With AdShield (which is customisable) pop ups are a once in a blue moon thing.
12 Sep 2004 10:06PM
Ok, Ok, i've been using this firefox thingy now all day well since about ermmm 1528 today and i've just had my first pop-up attact... the next one i'll get i'll write down and put it in here...

Darn poxy pooters! grrrrrrrr
12 Sep 2004 10:26PM

Is there anyone i could send a copy of this pop-up too so you can see it for your self... i didn't think they'd be able to get through firefox... maybe i should of followed CB and stuck with the -$29.99 not in my pocket idea eh?

Cheers peeps...
UserHasLeft 18 654
12 Sep 2004 10:59PM
Which site does it direct you to, Craig?
LAF 18 1.7k
12 Sep 2004 11:44PM
been using Firefox since around 3pm Sunday too. I actually rather like it. It took about, ooh, a minute to get used to it (a bit Mac perhaps) and is generally very fast indeed.

Lee.
heidilee 17 901
13 Sep 2004 12:16AM
I use Safari on my mac and that has a little button you can check to block pop-ups. I have IE on my Mac but I don't use it at all. I use IE on my PC and its not that great. I very rarely get pop-ups now unless I'm using my PC.

Heidi
13 Sep 2004 7:02AM
Hi Mike, it directs me to www.coresurveys34.com i have copied the pop-up into e-mail... the pop-up name is Messenger Service and then it gives me loads of instructions on what to do etc... i get them for this and other sites offering their spyware products and crap like that...

Lee, i like firefox mate, its just still letting pop-ups POP-UP lol...
agoreira 18 6.0k Wales
13 Sep 2004 8:05AM
"Ok, Ok, i've been using this firefox thingy now all day well since about ermmm 1528 today and i've just had my first pop-up attact... the next one i'll get i'll write down and put it in here..."

Stating the obvious here, but Im assuming you have ticked the "Block pop up windows"

Frank W
bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2004 8:20AM
I believe the Messenger Service popups are nothing to do with your browser (IE or firebird) - it is the Windows Messenger service, which you can (and probably should) disable.
See GRC.com
for a bit more of an explanation
13 Sep 2004 10:38AM
Hi Frank, yeah i've just looked and the box is ticked :o) i was hoping it wasn't cos then this would be the prob...

Cheers fot the link Tim... some useful info

Cheers for all the help peeps
Take care
Craig ☺

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.