WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

If you could design a digital camera...

joshwa Plus
9 915 1 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 6:46AM
If you could design a digital camera - what would it have? What features do you want or need your next camera to have if possible?

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks
Josh

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bwlchmawr 8 32 1 England
31 Mar 2016 7:22AM
A Lumix GX7 with an APSC 16mp Sony sensor. Easy.
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 9:07AM
More a lens wish than a camera wish, but I'd love if some clever designer out there could devise a method of including a internal modifiable (density and position) graduated neutral density filter.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
31 Mar 2016 9:13AM

Quote:More a lens wish than a camera wish, but I'd love if some clever designer out there could devise a method of including a internal modifiable (density and position) graduated neutral density filter.

It's a lot cheaper to add it in Lightroom and it then works for all of your lenses. Wink
arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 9:18AM
I mentioned this last time this question was asked a couple or so of years back, and that was to have a camera sensor that can be programmed to expose differently for 1/3 or 1/2 sections, to enable sky/earth sections to be exposed more closely in one shot.
altitude50 15 18.4k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 9:28AM
I am right handed, but apparently 10% of the population is left handed and I could see that if a major camera manufacturer produced a mid-range DSLR with a body constructed and arranged for left handed people there would be a big market for it?
arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 9:46AM

Quote:I am right handed, but apparently 10% of the population is left handed and I could see that if a major camera manufacturer produced a mid-range DSLR with a body constructed and arranged for left handed people there would be a big market for it?

Interesting idea, but being left handed myself, I have had no problem adapting to the camera design as it is - same with guitars.
However if someone is just starting out from scratch, it might be a real benefit.
31 Mar 2016 9:51AM

Quote:a body constructed and arranged for left handed people there would be a big market for it?

As a leftie myself, I doubt it...Smile

"We" have had to adapt to the right-handed world and in some cases it's to our advantage...ever since childhood - knowing no different - it's not been a problem using a "right-handed" camera, in fact I found (and still do..) that my more "adept" hand (left) is more comfortable supporting, aiming and twiddling controls on the lens body..

Likewise UK cars, I have the advantage again that my more adept hand is in charge of the gearlever, it feels perfectly natural and I struggle for this reason with left-hand drive cars when abroad..!

If there's only 10% of us anyway, it's not a huge market....but thanks for thinking of us..Wink
seahawk 13 1.3k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 10:04AM
My wife would certainly agree with altitude50 - she is left-handed! His argument could be applied to most cameras given that they are asymmetrical towards right-handers.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.2k 2 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 10:09AM
An Olympus Stylus 1 with a 4/3rd sensor,
ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 10:10AM
Years ago there was talk of introducing sensor backs like film cartridges for DSLR cameras, but it never happened. Of course it would not be quite so simple as that, as to keep up with developments you'd need to be able to also swap out the processing engine and [on a mirrored camera] things like the PDAF sensor too. I'm sure it could be done technically and the modules could be [relatively] inexpensive. But of course that would hit the bottom line of the major manufacturers because it would only benefit the consumer.

I can dream.
altitude50 15 18.4k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 10:23AM
Re digital 'backs' for film cameras see http://www.siliconfilm.com/

I forget the exact details but there was a large 'financial reason or shortfall' why it wasn't put into production.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
31 Mar 2016 10:29AM
I think the mix says it all

33998_1459416507.jpg
FloKl 6 73 Austria
31 Mar 2016 10:59AM
I'd wish for a camera that has no video stuff at all but therefore adds some internal high-quality storage (NAND, maybe XPoint or whatever non-volatile stuff will come at some point in the future). That camera also has highspeed wireless connections (Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, mobilephone network!) to be able to transfer the images. Think of taking pictures and somebody somewhere can see them in (almost) realtime at his computer ... I could see a market for that.

Also, the body would be 100% water- and dustproof, if possible the lenses too.
Thinking of that, it would be interesting how a camera made of some kind of lightweight metal (Titanium?) would feel.
crookymonsta Plus
12 842 10 England
31 Mar 2016 11:02AM
Tbe ability to hand hold in low light without introducing noise or camera shake

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.