WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

If you could design a digital camera...

31 Mar 2016 11:38AM
Having gone through a few cameras I finally found what I needed. It is Nikon D5500. Sure, it is not without a compromise. So what would be my ultimate camera?
I would think along this line:
At the moment there is no decent heir to rangefinders. And it could be interesting with modern materials and technologies incorporated.
This camera might have M39 Leica compatible mount variety and accept old lenses (maybe with adaptor) as well as ones specifically designed for the camera. It would be tricky but technically possible to have electromechanical coupled rangefinder inside the body as well as "conventional" on-sensor autofocus. Sure, it's native lenses would have electronic aperture, sensor shift image stabilization would be present too. As it comes from written above, the camera would have hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. Very wide viewfinder would be partially shadowed to match its field of view to the lens attached. Full frame sensor might take care of it.Here also would be something interesting as raw data from sensor could be processed either with Bayer matrix based algoritm or B&W Leica way.
Modern alloys and composites would make this undoubtedly complex camera light and reliable. And I am pretty sure that in terms of work operativity this camera would be unsurpassed.

On a lesser scale I would be happy with my current Nikon firmware update which might introduce true B&W processing of the sensor raw data, without Bayer approximation and consequent colour to B&W conversion. This is not so much to ask for, is it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.0k 58 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 12:59PM
I'd keep that little popup gap on the bottom of the camera that stops camera's rotating on tripod mounts - cone on Canon please add a hole.
I'd have exposure compensation work work in manual mode - letting me set the aperture/shutter speed and controlling the auto ISO chosen with the compensation settings.
I'd have a global shutter and as Arbh says variable ISO by pixels.
It would be mirrorless.
It would take AA batteries and rechargeables in the same body space.
Touch screen focus. And face tracking focus.
It would be able to beam pixel size reduced chosen images straight to my phone/email etc. and inversely beam the EVF display to my phone.
It would have a generic radio trigger control for the flash light i'd wear on my head.
If would have a scene trigger mode where it 'looks' at a static scene then takes a burst of images when is 'sees' the scene changing.
It would be both physically small and able to achieve shallow DOF.
ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 1:35PM

Quote:I'd keep that little popup gap on the bottom of the camera that stops camera's rotating on tripod mounts - cone on Canon please add a hole.
I'd have exposure compensation work work in manual mode - letting me set the aperture/shutter speed and controlling the auto ISO chosen with the compensation settings.
I'd have a global shutter and as Arbh says variable ISO by pixels.
It would be mirrorless.
It would take AA batteries and rechargeables in the same body space.
Touch screen focus. And face tracking focus.
It would be able to beam pixel size reduced chosen images straight to my phone/email etc. and inversely beam the EVF display to my phone.
It would have a generic radio trigger control for the flash light i'd wear on my head.
If would have a scene trigger mode where it 'looks' at a static scene then takes a burst of images when is 'sees' the scene changing.
It would be both physically small and able to achieve shallow DOF.

That's a pretty good list - add my name for one of those.
davidburleson 13 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 2:00PM
post-focusing, like lytro. If I was really dreaming, post-aperture setting too so you could change the DOF after taking the shot. Not sure if this would even be possible yet.

Oh, and a 'Upload to ePz' button Tongue
Lenscapon 4 64
31 Mar 2016 2:13PM
Although I like my Fuji X-E2 and I'm impressed with modern DSLR's, I've been disappointed with the way digital cameras have evolved to mimic film cameras. In the early days of digital there were some original designs that took advantage of the fact that there was no need for a film transport system behind the lens.

My first digital camera was the original Nikon Coolpix and that had a rotating lens attached to the body with a swiveling joint. This allowed the zoom lens to be contained within the full height of the body and the lens could rotate for difficult angles or 'selfies'. But now the designs have settled on 35mm film SLR style and 35mm rangefinder style, even though there's no longer a need for 35mm roll film to be moved from one side of the body to the other. We even have 'false' prism housing to make some cameras look more 'serious'.

Is a 'mock film camera' really the best design for a digital camera?

I'd like to see a body designed for the best ergonomics now that we don't need the 'black box' of a body to hold the film.

Also - how about a square sensor - so we can swap from portrait to landscape without having to tilt the camera on its side?
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 11:54PM

Quote:post-focusing, like lytro. If I was really dreaming, post-aperture setting too so you could change the DOF after taking the shot. Not sure if this would even be possible yet.

My phone does that - second camera records distance for each pixel, then you can focus on whatever you want, and use a slider to set the DOF.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
1 Apr 2016 3:36AM
A Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000. Can't think of anything I'd want changed.Smile
altitude50 15 18.4k United Kingdom
1 Apr 2016 7:19AM
With my old Canon compact camera, I could review photos on the rear screen without turning the camera on, this worked well for me! I don't know if there is a current popular serious camera where you can do that?
SlowSong Plus
11 8.9k 30 England
1 Apr 2016 9:48AM
You can do that on the G series Canon compacts and the S series. I have the G11 and S100 and you can review photos without turning the cameras on.

Quote:My phone does that - second camera records distance for each pixel, then you can focus on whatever you want, and use a slider to set the DOF.
That's absolutely marvellous! It must need a memory card the size of a brick. Grin
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
1 Apr 2016 10:25AM

Quote:Can't think of anything I'd want changed.

C'mon, you must be well overdue a change.Tongue
7Wishes 4 61 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2016 5:41PM
more what I don't want ... video
Hazelmouse 13 379 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2016 8:02PM
Ditto - don't want video.

Would love a DSLR that was lighter and had a much smaller grip. (I have very small fingers - the largest camera I can use is 760D).

Not going to happen.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
1 Apr 2016 8:12PM
A quality compact with IR capabilities without the need of modification at the throw of a switch, many of these camera`s already come with built in nd filters, they only need to add one more.
EddyP 5 6
11 Apr 2016 4:47PM
Something to make night time shooting far less stressful, I want jaw dropping quality with little noise, I don't ask for much...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.