Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Ilux Summit vs Visio 5 vs ???

Taxboy 18 207
12 Aug 2020 3:07PM
I'd like to have a go at some portrait (head and shoulders initially) and pet photography and looking for some suggestions for lighting please that doesn't break the bank. It will be at home or at relatives (when we are finally allowed to visit) so the idea of battery powered studio lights is appealing.

I do have a Canon 430EXii to pair with my 7DiI and a soft box kit but I'm finding the lack of a modelling light makes it difficult for me to develop consistency and learn

Any advice gratefully received
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
14 Aug 2020 9:16AM
I realise you have said 'that don't break the bank', but some idea of budget would be good. You will possibly find that you will need more than one head as you progress so future proof and compatibility need to be taken into account. From what I see the Ilux unit is made by Godox and is a 600w/s strobe, perhaps more power than you will need (my 600w/s heads usually have their power dialled right down). I have no idea who manufactures the Neewer Vision heads (All Neewer products are rebranded), and although they seem nicely priced I think I would avoid.
Also you need to be aware of the mount for modifiers, the Bowens 'S' mount is probably the most popular with a large range of competitively priced modifiers.
Personally I would look at Godox, they have the largest ecosystem of any manufacturer around with good quality products, perhaps start with something like an AD300, complete with a large umbrella or a large softbox (I prefer softboxes as I find I have more control over the light and many come with a honeycomb grid for even finer control). You will also need a trigger and possibly a receiver so that you can use your 430EX along side as maybe a hair or a rim light.
Try to use a supplier like Lencarta (in the UK) as you will benefit from a full UK warranty.
Taxboy 18 207
14 Aug 2020 4:43PM
Thanks for your advice. What you say makes sense, especially with respect to warranty. Although Lencarta are the stockist of the Visico. I'd imagine they can't supply the Ilux as it would be in direct competition to their Godox range?

Budget I was hoping to get away with 650 for a couple of lights to allow the extra on softboxes etc Perhaps I'll have to dig around the back of the sofa for more lost change !!
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
14 Aug 2020 5:21PM
Yes the Visico heads Lencarta sell are identical to the heads that Neewer sell as rebranded. I would maybe still stick with Godox simply because of the extensive ecosystem. I will often use a single head with a reflector for head shots so maybe start there... a single light with a large double diffused softbox, 45 degrees camera right or left and pointing down at 45 degrees and as close to your subject as possible, with a large reflector to fill the shadows is a useful starting point.
Taxboy 18 207
15 Aug 2020 4:28PM
Many thanks much appreciated - From what I can see Godox has been around a while so any future bits and pics or spares should be less of an issue
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
15 Aug 2020 9:35PM

Quote: From what I can see Godox has been around a while so any future bits and pics or spares should be less of an issue

Indeed, but most important is to purchase from a UK supplier such as Lencarta for the warranty. Good luck with your final decision.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.