Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

iMac for HD Video Editing (from 5D Mark II)

stevemelvin 15 675 2 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2009 1:14AM
I've recently bought both a Hi Definition Camcorder (Canon HF10) and the 5D Mark II. I'm pretty sure my PC won't be up to the job of editing the video files they produce. It's a single core AMD Athlon64 1.80Ghz processor with 2Gb RAM, running XP. So, I've been thinking of upgrading my PC.

Given that most of what I now do on my PC is photo editing (and video editing in the future) as well as internet and emails, without so much need for MS Office anymore, I have been tempted to upgrade to an iMac.

I already have an excellent Dell 24" monitor and the indulgence of having two 24" screens in tandem is very tempting!

However, as I am completely new to HD video editing I am not sure if the iMac is up to the job. I would guess that it is, and this may be a completely stupid/naive question, but I just want to check with some people on here with experience of video editing.

The relevant parts of the spec of the iMac I'm looking at are:

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6MB shared L2 cache
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
2Gb RAM (I will upgrade this to 4Gb)

Will this cope with practical amounts of HD editing?

It is possible to upgrade the processor to 3.06Ghz and upgrade the graphics card to a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB of GDDR3 memory.

Would either of these upgrades by necessary/worthwhile/sufficient?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
2 Mar 2009 1:49AM
the pc will find it difficult to even play the 5d mk11 files.

I had to buy an imac, I got the bottom of the range one and upgraded the ram to 4 gig with crucial memory ... I find that although it does cope - it's still not great, so I'd possibly reccomend getting something more powerful than mine

Paul
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
2 Mar 2009 1:59AM
My PC with 4Gb of RAM has no difficulty playing and editing video files from the 5D Mk II. Smile
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
2 Mar 2009 2:08AM
RAM it home, CB!! LOL
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
2 Mar 2009 8:07AM
Spec the imac to the max, but get the memory from independent supplier as Mac charge way too much for it.
256 graphics card is not really enough, as a lot of Mac applications borrow memory from the graphics card and it's not upgradeable later.

Processor is not upgradable in the iMacs.

Check out and american company that are selling custom made computers with a Mac OS

Much better value for money than Apple Pro machines and they are much more upgradeable than iMacs,

J
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Mar 2009 11:09AM

Quote:The relevant parts of the spec of the iMac I'm looking at are:

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6MB shared L2 cache
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
2Gb RAM (I will upgrade this to 4Gb)

Thats a fairly basic spec by PC standards.....! Core 2 Duo is almost considered old hat, Or so last year.........Smile

The CPU spec should be at least a Quad, If your thinking about upgrades before you start, It would be wiser to purchase something with that spec now, Buying upgrades at a later date is really an expensive way of doing things....! Not to mention the potential problems with upgrading " Major " components after the OS has been installed, Although generally on a Windows machine it's just a case of updating the drivers.

Apart from CPU-RAM-GRAPHIC capability, A machine designed for Video editing should have fast hard drives, As well as the ability to have several drives on the system ( I don't mean the plug in type like USB or Firewire ) The reasons are obvious for storage, But also the facility to run " RAID " configurations, Or even a set of fast Scuzzie drives.......Whatever....!

The only real answer is a high spec custom build from someone like " Overclockers.co.uk " Scan International " or DELL.....!
2 Mar 2009 3:20PM
Thanks very much to all for the comments. Sorry for the delay in getting back - it's been a busy day so far at work!

Summing up it would seem that even the top spec iMac will not really cope with HD editing (or at least not comfortably). And even if I got a MacPro then I may be restricting myself in terms of editing software available and upgradeability.

So it looks like a new Windows PC is the answer. In which case, could anyone suggest a reasonable spec that would cope with the HD editing and future developments for a couple of years or so? e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics Card (and memory), disk speed/setup?

Or if you currently have a PC that copes with HD editing, what is it's full spec? (CB - what CPU and graphics card do you have in addition to your 4Gb RAM?).

Again, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
2 Mar 2009 3:52PM

Quote:CB - what CPU and graphics card do you have in addition to your 4Gb RAM?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz

Graphics: Nvidia 512MB

It's the RAM that makes the real difference, I think. You don't need to go OTT on the other stuff.
2 Mar 2009 3:55PM
Thanks. Are you running XP or Vista?
2 Mar 2009 3:57PM
Vista.
wasper 14 533 1 Ireland
2 Mar 2009 5:10PM

Quote:Thanks very much to all for the comments. Sorry for the delay in getting back - it's been a busy day so far at work!

Summing up it would seem that even the top spec iMac will not really cope with HD editing (or at least not comfortably). And even if I got a MacPro then I may be restricting myself in terms of editing software available and upgradeability.

So it looks like a new Windows PC is the answer. In which case, could anyone suggest a reasonable spec that would cope with the HD editing and future developments for a couple of years or so? e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics Card (and memory), disk speed/setup?

Or if you currently have a PC that copes with HD editing, what is it's full spec? (CB - what CPU and graphics card do you have in addition to your 4Gb RAM?).

Again, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

All MacPros are starting with Quads. And as for upgradibility the machines have plenty room to add hardware.
Also FinalCut Pro is one the best apps for editing. Please visit you nearest apple store & have a look I guarantee you will spend hours there.
2 Mar 2009 11:53PM
Thanks for the info, Wasper, but those MacPros are just too expensive. By the time you upgrade memory etc then they are 2000 or more which is too much for a PC in my book/wallet!
11 Mar 2009 2:16AM
Since the entries above, I have been doing some research into PC specs for a new machine that will allow me to do photo editing swiftly and, more importantly, simple video editing of High Definition footage from my 5D Mark II and HF10 camcorder (probably using something like Sony Vegas).

My local independent PC shop (which built my current PC and my wife's PC) has come up with the following for around 750:

AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 2.6GHz
4Gb RAM (2 x 2Gb Corsair XMS2 800Mhz DDR2)
ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb Graphics Card
Hard Disk 1: 250Gb SATA (7200rpm)
Hard Disk 2: 500Gb SATA (7200rpm)
DVD Writer 18x (Dual Layer) + DVD ROM
Wireless PCI Card
10 USB Ports (8 back + 2 front)
600w PSU
XP Home

Could the video editing gurus and/or computer gurus on here confirm that this should cope with the uses mentioned above. And also whether it looks reasonable value for money. Anything I should look to increase the spec of or anything that is not really necessary?

All help gratefully received.

Steve
11 Mar 2009 9:52AM
Any views anyone?
11 Mar 2009 12:12PM
Sounds entirely adequate to me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.