Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

image copyright and the internet. your thoughts.

jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
11 Jul 2013 8:28AM
Morning all here is a question id like to put to you all and get your reactions and comments. I have wondered why do you post photos online? I had a wee spat with some people last night on faceache who TOOK or in my words stole another photographers image and said it was ok cause it was online therefore ok to use it without giving him credit. Do you agree with that or do you like me think that they are out of order?
Some of them think that cause it is online it is free to use any image cause "the internet is public if you don't want folk to see your images don't post them online". This got me thinking and if that is true why do photographers use fliker, facebook, picassa and yes even Ephotozine or even have there very own websites. I'd like to know how you all feel about it and what you think the non photographers think is acceptable to use (or steal) cause it is in public view?
Gundog 8 629 Scotland
11 Jul 2013 9:20AM
I think that some photographers stick their photos on those sites so that their friends and the rest of the world can see their images. When someone copies their images and uses them without any recognition of the original photographer, then you can see why the original snapper might get upset. Even more so if the imposter passes them of as her own and even, even more so if they are used for commercial purposes I guess.
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
11 Jul 2013 9:38AM
copyright remains with the photographer............after that it depends what someone else does with it - the t'net doesn't make it free
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
11 Jul 2013 9:47AM
shove a huge water mark over the whole thing... certainly doens't stop it being stolen, but reduces the usefulness to the theif
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
11 Jul 2013 10:05AM
Yes I know the photographer still retains the copyright. I am wondering how photographers feel about this using or stealing, one of the people that shot back used the "the internet is public if you don't want folk to see your images don't post them online" also stated that "if its in public view it is fair game to take the image". If that is true then if i walk along the street in PUBLIC is it fair game to say take someones car cause like joe public thinks online is ok to use it cause it is public surely therefore on the public street should be fair game to?
thewilliam 12 6.1k
11 Jul 2013 10:33AM

Quote:Shove a huge water mark over the whole thing... certainly doens't stop it being stolen, but reduces the usefulness to the theif

Is it true that the "content aware fill" tool in the latest version of Photoshop was specially designed to get rid of troublesome water-marks?
11 Jul 2013 11:06AM
depends how extensive the watermark is

little ones can be cropped or filled

this one may be trickier

-mg-2124-facebook.jpg
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 11:48AM

Quote:"if its in public view it is fair game to take the image

On that logic you could steal a work of art from the national gallery or someone's TV you can see though a window. It's a stupid comment from a stupid person.
Evertonian 8 729 England
11 Jul 2013 12:16PM

Quote: "if its in public view it is fair game to take the image"

Just not true. Do a search on 'photographers' rights and you will find all the legal info you need.

Quote:this one may be trickier

Excellent, are you minded to let us know how to do that kind of translucent watermark as it is superb?
thewilliam 12 6.1k
11 Jul 2013 12:20PM

Quote:"if its in public view it is fair game to take the image

On that logic you could steal a work of art from the national gallery or someone's TV you can see though a window. It's a stupid comment from a stupid person.

Unfortunately, a sizable proportion of the population thinks this way: whatever is visible has been put there to be stolen. Many shoplifters seriously believe that it can't be theft when goods have been laid out to be taken!
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 12:26PM

Quote:

It's not quite the same - more like taking a photo a work of art from the national gallery and printing your own copy or watching someone's TV you can see though a window.
The original owner still owns their copy of the image.
11 Jul 2013 1:20PM
lightoom watermark - very simple to do
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 4:30PM
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
11 Jul 2013 6:56PM

Quote: "if its in public view it is fair game to take the image

That's obviously incorrect, although I wouldn't go calling people names because they think it.

I think though, that it would be accurate to say that:

"If it's on the internet, it's considered by many (most?) people to be fair game."

And it's certainly a good policy to never upload anything that you don't want copied/stolen/borrowed/misused. (Delete as appropriate.)
11 Jul 2013 11:41PM
Blah. How many times is this question going to arise?

Read the legislation (or this short guide from the IPO http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-about.htm) - you may get bored by the legislation unless you're either legally trained.

Commercial photographers provide clients with a licence that specifically states what images can be used for (which might also include restrictions dictated by a model in his or her model release) and any limitations on the time period over which they can be used (I'm not churlish - my licences are almost always 'in perpetuity').

Big watermarks detract from the image - suing the thief generates more income. My next action is against the Mirror Group, which should be worth a couple of k. A junior editor is responsible and will possibly lose her job, but hey, do bad things and bad things come back at you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.