Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Image discussion W/ending 27th July 2009

Eviscera 14 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 6:53PM
I had the same pm about Honey , but I wasnt in till late last night and only just today.

Ill pm her using the stock text on Ks advice , but I cant see where the floodgates would come from (naive ?)

Can we comment on what we personally think on the image in the reply , or just leave it as the stock text?

And it might help the navigation in here if the linky names were the same as the images , Ive been guilty of calling the links "this image" !

Been really busy and missed some of the hcs pas , but most of them look good.

And its great the site has attracted a few really great photographers of late , thats the sort of standard this place needed Smile
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 7:53PM
I wouldn't put your own thoughts in. It invites aggravation (to yourself or others). If you wish to pass comment, I'd put it into the image comments.
23 Jul 2009 8:03PM
I agree, I wouldn't put your own thoughts in, lets face it when the person gets the same mail from each of us, it'll be just as she did, a mailshot...
csurry 19 9.2k 92
23 Jul 2009 11:01PM
I had the answer previously on collisions David, I just changed the setup to improve the lighting, but it is even harder in coffee and milk scenario as you get fewer chances before you have to replace the fluids.

I took a look at his website a week or so ago and notice he has lots of collisions and other water drop images, as well as some stunning landscapes and portraits.

Been out all day and only been in a short while, but will have more time in the next three days to look at things.
BlueRoom 14 73 20 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2009 11:27PM
Well I seem to have been left out of this round robin but in the event that anyone does seek to harass me I will be happy to use the prepared text.

I agree about the ice cream shot. Very poor.

Coffee and milk is an extraordinary picture. This chaps work is of such a high standard and so incredibly varied it is difficult to imagine that he wonít be dominating the award pages for some time to come, assuming he keeps posting.

The composition of the George Gradinaru pictures doesnít worry me, I feel it often adds a dynamic to the image that might be lost with a more conventional layout. It is clearly a considered artifice as nothing in his work appears to be left to chance, and Iím quite happy with it. I would be pleased to see a bit more variety in his work though.

I wasnít over keen on the last Bread&Shutter image But I think WILLOW is most unusual and quite stunning. Itís gone HC already but Iíd be happy to see it go further.
24 Jul 2009 8:33PM
Ive got a dilemma with PORTRAIT WITH A BOAT.

Instinct tells me to nom its purity.

But for hc , the white blobs on the upper third keep drawing my eye. And a good solid crop to just below the horizon line would work a treat.

I dont really want to go in on the image and say that though.

Any thoughts ?
conrad 16 10.9k 116
24 Jul 2009 8:41PM

Quote:I dont really want to go in on the image and say that though.

Why not? Don't you want to share suggestions that might help her improve?
24 Jul 2009 8:57PM
Not really , i dont want to stifle her purity.

Compositional imperfection and image flaws often have a place in the realm of beauty.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
24 Jul 2009 8:59PM
Okay. Interesting. That's probably the only valid-looking reason I've ever heard not to give a critique. But if I were the tog, I'd want to know.

And I do think you were right with your concerns about the image, btw.
26 Jul 2009 12:32PM
Hello everyone, hope you are having a good weekend... some nice images coming through this week. I like the concept behind this but the ps word is quite crude and poorly executed for an award imho?
csurry 19 9.2k 92
26 Jul 2009 12:39PM
The PS work on what I would consider the background elements is clean, but the girl looks all wrong and plonked in to the created landscape. I think it is probably that the created light source is not consistent with the light on the girl, which although I claim no skill in being able to do this myself is one of the critical elements in composite images. So not one for me.
BlueRoom 14 73 20 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2009 12:55PM
I agree. It is imaginative but looks like an exercise with no unifying theme to link the elements.

On the other hand there are a lot ov very good pictures languishing in Pending. There seem to be very few of us about lately.
chase Plus
15 2.1k 562 England
26 Jul 2009 4:54PM
A good concept as you say K,one I looked at briefly earlier today & my first thought was 'that girl looks plonked in there'...so I echo Cheryl's thoughts on that one.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.