Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Image Enhancement

Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 12:01PM
It's not a new thing though

Joan Crawford before and after 1931

and photo manipulation was going on in the 1850's !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman 17 15.3k England
9 Jul 2008 12:50PM

Quote:"on EPZ, you're in an ivory tower of photography where real/normal shots get overlooked"

What is a 'natural' image?
We all remember colour differently to how it really looks.

Try this experiment:

Take a photo from your 'computer' room of the view outside.
put the pic on screen and the colours will probably look different when compared with the real view.

Copy the image and then without looking at the original scene, tweak it so that it appears correct as you remember it

Make another copy and adjust it to match the scene, as near as possible, by reference to the real view as you see it .

You will now have three different images one as seen by the camera and two 'natural' pics.

I have tried this and find that the one that is matched to the scene can often look unnatural or too contrasty when viewed on it's own.

OK it's a very simplistic test (I'm a simple soul Wink ) and there are probably umpteen flaws in the method, but it does beg the question of 'what is a natural looking picture'.
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
9 Jul 2008 12:59PM

Quote: I'd be interested to see what a bride & groom shot with verticals corrected, HDR'd from 3 bracketed exposures, tonemapped and contrast curves applied with some judicious saturation looks like though Ade, just to see if there's a market for you

PS: Throw in a mono conversion for good measure too please!!!

If posting it here, it will need a frame with some writing underneath as well!
sut68 16 2.0k 76 England
9 Jul 2008 1:03PM

Quote:If posting it here, it will need a frame with some writing underneath as well!

... oh, now that's just pure folly ... who's going to invest the time to do that Wink
Artois 14 405 1 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 1:14PM
LOL - Me!!!
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
9 Jul 2008 4:08PM

Quote:PS: Throw in a mono conversion for good measure too please!!!

Oh yes - I've a nice action that does that Smile
ANW 12 29 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 6:27PM
Regardless of one's opinion on acceptable/desirable levels of post capture manipulation I believe that many people, like myself, post and view on EPZ in order to try and improve their photographic skills either with the camera or the computer either by comments given on their own work or by viewing that of other subscribers. In the latter case it would be useful if posted images included some indication of post capture editing. Not all the fine detail just a few pointers e.g was the image shot RAW or Jpeg, any adjustment to brightness, colour, contrast, white balance etc.
Chris_H 16 1.5k 1
9 Jul 2008 7:11PM
I do very little to my images, this is for a number of reasons:
I hate being in front of a computer for long periods of time, for the customers I sell my images to there is not much of a demand for the heavily manipulated stuff, when working on commissions its very important to get it right in camera as I either have very little time to get the images to the client or they take the files straight out of the camera and do the processing themselves.

I agree with the original comment that there are many good photographers work on here who ruin the shots with the processing, I see lots of work from one particular photographer who I think produces good images, but lets them all down with too much contrast and sickly over saturated colours, I quite like soft more subtle colours at times.

I have nothing against digital manipulation , its clear that in can enhance images and they certainly can easily stand out at times, but too much can also easily ruin what could have been a really good image. If you take a look at landscape images in a magazine such as Digital Photo and compare them with the colours of landscape images in a magazine such as Outdoor Photographer you will know what I mean.
looboss 13 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 7:14PM

Quote:one particular photographer who I think produces good images, but lets them all down with too much contrast and sickly over saturated colours,

guilty.....well sometimes Wink
steve_p 14 1.2k England
9 Jul 2008 7:17PM
This manipulation seems to be taking up more and more pages in the photographic press too.
I took out a subsciption to a new magazine at the end of last year. It promised to have relevant articles to my interests.
As time went by I found I was not even reading a good chunk of the mag, I have since cancelled the sub.
I can read what I want in ten minutes at WH Smiths !!
Steve
alexshairp 12 7 Scotland
11 Jul 2008 12:27AM
Well, I seem to have got everyone bickering...probably should have phrased the original comment a little better, but all the same, I have enjoyed the read guys-I think it's fair to say it has helped some what!

Oh, and I wasn't having a dig btw...
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
11 Jul 2008 12:42AM

Quote:My processing takes about 30 secs per pic for uploading here, and most of that is taken by the resize and border.

Likewise. Usually the writing and editing of the description takes longer than the computer work on my pic.

jas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.