ePz Exclusive: Save 10% On Eversure Camera Insurance

Image Fogging on Canon 300D

martinl 15 269 2 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 2:50PM
Anyone able to throw any light on this.

I have a 300D, which over the weekend developed a dust spot in the viewfinder. This is not on any images, so I took the lens off to have a look. Spotted it on the part where the focus point indicators are. Tried gently with a cotton bud to remove it, but discovered that the spot is behind this screen!

In doing this, managed to get a couple of hairs off the cotton bud on the small black sponge lining in the lens mount. I managed to remove the hairs, but also managed to pull some of the sponge off also!!

Is this a critical error? The reasons for asking, is that after I had done this, I found that when I held the camera up to check the viewfinder, I noticed that the image was misty. Wasn't the viewfinder itself, as this was clear, and wasn't the rear lens element either. If I removed the lens, after a minute or so it cleared. Did the same again after reattaching the lens, then cleared after I put it down for a minute or two.

Could this be moisture from my hands getting inside the camera, and condensating on the cool interior. If so, would it get in through the gap in the sponge? In which case, am I shafted?

Alternatively, I went out first thing Sat morning, and the camera got very damp in the fog that was around. Could it be just moisture from the fog which has got inside the camera, when heated by my hands again condensates. If so, I assume leaving camera to dry out would cure.

This has never happened before so I am at a bit of a quandary.

Any help or advise gratefully received.

Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 2:54PM
Sounds like moisture inside the camera. Take the lens off and leave it in a warm (not hot like an oven) dry place and let it dry out. I would also advise removing the battery and CF card, plus leaving their doors open. Make certain it is not a dusty place you do this.!!!

You could do the same without removing the lens and card etc but it will take longer, as the camera is not sealed. If it is the bit I think you are referring to (i.e sponge)is it not the bit to dampen the mirror shock at the top of its travel? How badly damaged is it?

I would go for the fog myself. or your breath as you peared in the camera. My camera fogged up in the viewfinder after a long morning in the mist once. It works fine.
mattw 15 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 2:57PM
Are the photograps 'misty' or only the viewfinder? Take it to a service center perhaps?

Mattw
2 Oct 2006 3:02PM
Thanks guys.

Strawman, the sponge only has a small amount missing off one end, and you are probably right in that it is the mirror damper that is slightly damaged,
. I'll have to keep an eye on things to see if it has any adverse effects in the future.

Matt, didn't want to take any images jsut in case, but I believe that the fogging would have appeared on the image.

I will try giving it a good dry out, and see if this reoccurs.

Martin
paulcr 14 1.5k 9 Ireland
2 Oct 2006 3:02PM

Quote:Could this be moisture from my hands getting inside the camera, and condensating on the cool interior.

Almost certainly yes. I seem to remember the same thing a while ago while I cleaned the mirror.
Paul

PS: No adverse effects..
2 Oct 2006 3:06PM
Thanks Paul, very reassuring.

I hope that is the case, and it will just clear up as the camera drys out.

Martin
monstersnowman 14 1.7k 1 England
2 Oct 2006 4:37PM
I have bought some Calcium Chloride ... if I suspect that my camera has been wet or overly humid I place the camera in a sealed plastic bag with the Calcium Chloride. The CC is a strong dehumidifier (stronger than silica gel sachets) and will remove any condensation. The CC came as 450g sachets in a dehumdier pack for dehumidifying small rooms. Hope this helps. Regards, Paul.

P.S. Dry it out as quick as possible - letting moisture hang around longer than you need to can promote nasty fungal growth which will fog any optics.
User_Removed 14 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 6:37PM
Is it not just that you're looking at the ground glass of the focusing screen with the lens off, and that's making a diffused image.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.