Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Image Library Software

iainpb 16 40
18 Jan 2006 12:00AM
THanks all, there's some great ideas there i'll be hoping to implement. Its still in a very early design stage and any working version is a few months away (damn having to go to work!). Early designs show im going to have to use a specially developed directory structure but i will be building picassa-style auto import. The website will be up again soon (i may have forgotten to pay them Smile ) and i'll be putting descriptions and versions up on there as and when. Im hoping this can be a genuine alternative to the overpriced image libaries available. Thanks for all the imput and any more suggestions are welcome.

Iain
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2006 12:05AM

Quote:Early designs show im going to have to use a specially developed directory structure but i will be building picassa-style auto import.

You really want to avoid this if possible, many people have there directory structure sorted and spread over multiple disks. If a product mucks about with my directory structure it is a non starter as far as I am concerned.
Chris
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Jan 2006 12:08AM
Good Luck...and I for one will keep an eye out for your future posts.

I'd like to see something along the lines of Adobe Bridge....that didn't need 10gb of RAM to run it!!!
nickp 16 491 Scotland
18 Jan 2006 12:47AM
I'm with Chris on this - apps that mess with my directories encoutner an enormous amount of resistance to change. Personally I'm looking for an overlay to the operating system file structure, not a replacement for it.

I'd have thought you'd need a database behind all this; if so, why generate a directory structure? If not, then I think you need to consider it!
iainpb 16 40
18 Jan 2006 12:56AM
It is going to use a database for versioning, exif, keywords etc and also storing file locations. the specific file system was to solve a few complications in version control. This is obviously a feature people are not keen on so i will look at fitting into an existing directory structure. The application is intended to replace current manual archiving though. Any browsing and searching could be done through the programs graphical interface.

thanks for all the input - its all helpful

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.