PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Image quality

DannoM 12 58 England
3 Jan 2010 7:26PM
i use cs2 for all my image editing. When i save in jpeg for web the images never look quite the same on the web or in other viewers(paint, nero etc) on my pc. Im puzzled. Im i saving it wrong?
rossd 17 1.1k England
3 Jan 2010 8:10PM
Suggest you read through this:

link

Hopefully it will solve your problem.
DannoM 12 58 England
3 Jan 2010 8:30PM
thanks for link, i follow that process. its just odd that viewers other than cs2 show the image different. Image looks great in cs2 other viewers it looks flat. weird
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
3 Jan 2010 10:13PM
Make sure you convert to sRGB and preferably embed the ICC profile in the image.
DannoM 12 58 England
3 Jan 2010 10:19PM
cheers glen im thinking this could be the issue
photofrenzy 14 424 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2010 2:35PM
Hi DAN re-profile your images in photoshop before you start saving for web.

Most of the Images are converted down to srgb files , But if your using the ADOBE RGB 1998 profile to view on photoshop then this is why your getting a difference in colours.

Heres what i do i have my camera profile set to Adobe rgb i then use NX2 to convert the RAW images "still as ADOBE RGB",

When you transfer the image to MY PICTURES via raw converter copy it this allows you to keep the original and have a low res copy for internet use.
Right click on mouse then open with ... And choose photoshop.

When opened in photoshop click on EDIT then either CONVERT TO PROFILE or ASSIGN PROFILE . You should still have the image at ADOBE RGB 1998. Well change that profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile-OK.

Then save the Image as JPEG 8-BIT JOB DONESmile All you need to do then is resize them in save for web.
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2010 2:44PM
Be aware that Convert to profile and Assign profile are not the same thing though.

You really should use convert to profile Smile
6 Jan 2010 2:48PM
Hi Barry thanx for that your right i wasnt sure which one , BUT YOU ARE RIGHT use convert to profile Wink
DannoM 12 58 England
6 Jan 2010 6:04PM
convert to profile works a treat, thanks guys
rossd 17 1.1k England
6 Jan 2010 9:10PM
If you use the 'Save for web' facility in CS2 it automatically converts the image to sRGB.
6 Jan 2010 11:40PM
Hi ROSS thanx for that the main reason i use convert to profile is mainly for the lab that i use they like sRGB files and i always convert that way by using convert to profile.

Its just a habit that has stuck with me even when using images for the web THANX for the advice.
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
7 Jan 2010 7:20AM

Quote:If you use the 'Save for web' facility in CS2 it automatically converts the image to sRGB.

Didn't that appear in CS3?

Most labs are akin to Internet Explorer - they like sRGB simply because they can't handle any other profile.
7 Jan 2010 8:48AM

Quote:If you use the 'Save for web' facility in CS2 it automatically converts the image to sRGB.

Not entirely true Smile

You have the option to convert the image to sRGB but it is just that, an option. You do have to 'check' the box otherwise it will not do it Smile
stomp 19 203 England
7 Jan 2010 6:11PM

Quote:Quote:If you use the 'Save for web' facility in CS2 it automatically converts the image to sRGB.Not entirely true

You have the option to convert the image to sRGB but it is just that, an option. You do have to 'check' the box otherwise it will not do it

I may be wrong, but I have sRGB check box ticked in CS4 and do not have to tick it every time I save a file. It remembers the state of the tick box the last time you used it.

Steve
7 Jan 2010 6:13PM
Hi Steve, you are right it does "remember" but it is an option.

It's not the case that it does this by default if you see what I mean (that's what I was trying to get across. The comment previously said this process was automatic which strictly speaking it isn't as you have to have chosen to do it) Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.