ADVERTISEMENT
Looking for Unique Wall Art? Explore Cameraframe: Extraordinary Frames Crafted with Camera Parts

Image sizes for various uses

PRC 8 388 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2022 11:30PM
I sometimes take images of local events for community groups. I understand that Facebook compresses images, sometimes quite brutally, as does Instagram. So when I send the images to the groups I often send three versions: one image as large as it is after any cropping, one with a maximum dimension of 2000 pixels (for Facebook) and one with a max dimension of 1000 pixels for Instagram. I read somewhere that this should avoid FB and Instagram spoiling images. However, there's no guarantee that the group will not put the full size image on Facebook.

Do any of you go to this trouble or do you just send, for instance, a 2000 pixels max image? Should I be worrying more about the file size (in terms of MB) rather than image dimensions?

Philip
Carabosse Plus
20 43.7k 270 England
18 Jun 2022 12:15AM
I tend to use 960px (long dimension) for everything. Seems to work fine. Smile
justin c 19 5.2k 36 England
18 Jun 2022 10:54AM
The best image size for Instagram is 1080 x 1920 for stories and 1080 x 1350 for posts.
etaf 22 7
18 Jun 2022 1:06PM
i used do Original , Medium and low resolution for people

The original was if they wanted to print or get them printed out - more than anything else

Low was for webuse - maybe for media - like tvs

when i had windows I used a thumbnail creator to do that and so often used 1080 pixels as the height setting , so people could show on things like TV;s computer screens etc - although screens for ipads and apple laptops have a lot more capability these day

this was a long while ago , and so the internet and images has evolved a lot - I also notice whatsapp compresses the image a lot as well.

File size used to an issue on the web, when on dialup , and pages loading with lots of graphics - not so much now

But sending images via email again i try and keep the file size small

Carabosse Plus
20 43.7k 270 England
19 Jun 2022 12:08PM
I have managed to send quite large video files via WhatsApp. Yes, they do get compressed but for viewing on the small screen of a smartphone, they remain acceptable.

I think that is the criterion (generally) in this day and age, viz. is it acceptable, not is it perfect.
PRC 8 388 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2022 12:43PM
Thanks for the comments. I guess I was really asking if it's best to hold on to the 'big' images and only send, say, 2000 pixel sized images to the clients. [Clients is too grand a word but it will do for now!] What prompted this is me going to the trouble of sending the three separate sized images to one group and the big one ending up on FB and looking terrible due to their compression algorithm. I'm beginning to think I should only send the smaller images and tell the client that I can let them have a "better" image file if they need it.
Carabosse Plus
20 43.7k 270 England
19 Jun 2022 1:56PM

Quote:I should only send the smaller images and tell the client that I can let them have a "better" image file if they need it.

This is exactly what I do with my "clients". Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.