Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Images greying out in LR.

Ray12 Plus
5 143 1 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2018 7:20PM
I would like some help please.
When I went to Glencoe I used a Sony SLT camera to take images, also my Mobile.
The ones I took with the Camera I named the file "Glencoe", with the Mobile "Glencoe 1".
I have already processed some imaged from both files in LR a few weeks back.
I went to do some more today, but for some reason the images in the file taken with my Mobile, have all greyed out Sad
I have both files on my laptop and a external hard drive.
Can some one please say what could be wrong.
Many thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
7 Aug 2018 8:19PM
I assume when you say - file "Glencoe" you mean folder?

Is there a small exclamation mark (upper right corner) ?

Try right clicking and chasing show in explorer (windows)/ finder (mac)....

You may have to point Lightroom at the location for it to re-find the files ...
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
7 Aug 2018 9:23PM

Quote:I have already processed some imaged from both files in LR

If by that, you mean that you imported all of the images but only worked on some, then closed Lightroom; if you then try to import those same images again, from a folder somewhere, Lightroom will recognise them as having been imported already and they will indeed, appear as greyed out.
If that's the case, try renaming them, Glencoe 1a will suffice, then import them again under their new name.
If I'm right, Lightroom won't recognise the renamed images and all will be well.

Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
8 Aug 2018 10:21AM
Have you possibly moved the folders/files using another programme? If you have then that is why Lightroom can't see them. You could try 'Synchonise' within Lightroom (right click on the drive where the files are and choose Synchronise) and it will then find them and you can import them.

I should have said that this is done in Library Mode!
Ray12 Plus
5 143 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 11:48AM
Hi all.
I don't import my images into LR, I either use them straight from my computer/hard drive.
I also noticed that only about a quarter of the images in Glencoe1a are greyed out.
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
8 Aug 2018 11:56AM

Quote:I don't import my images into LR

If I remember correctly one has to import images into LR in order to work on them, in which case you could not have processed them in LR

So, I am not sure what you are doing / trying to do ?
Ray12 Plus
5 143 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 12:01PM
Yes, but i only import a single image that i am working on.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 12:42PM
I've seen this in 2 places - 1 as jester says when importing, previously imported images are greyed out in the import screen.
Also as Tianshi says in the library module where the underlying file has bee moved to a new location and only the LR thumbnail and metadata is held in the LR catalogue - so LR greys it our as it knows about it but can't find it.

So if since it was first imported the main file has been moved elsewhere (or is on an external drive that is not connected) the LR greys it out.
Either return the file to the same location and re-Synchonise, or use LR to browse for the new like location so it can reconnect with it.

The other anomalie i had that may be related is when the file name is ambiguous - e.g if i don't also add the date to imported files the default camera file name goes round from 0001 to 9999 and then repeats - i have then different photos with the same name. Finding and Re connecting/re-Synchonising these is a time consuming pain. I try to always import and rename with the taken date in LR.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 1:33PM

Quote:Yes, but i only import a single image that i am working on.

Why?

Where are the greyed out images occurring, are they in the Library module or in the Import Dialogue?

If they are in the Import Dialogue you have imported them and they will be available in the Library module.
Ray12 Plus
5 143 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 7:27PM
I don't have both folders in LR. I have them in my laptop and my ext hard drive, If I want to work on a picture I go to the folder right click on the image and use "open with" light room.
This my not be the proper/best way but its the way I find suits me.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 8:11PM

Quote:I don't have both folders in LR. I have them in my laptop and my ext hard drive, If I want to work on a picture I go to the folder right click on the image and use "open with" light room.
This my not be the proper/best way but its the way I find suits me.

Ok but I am now having a problem understanding things, where are the files greyed out? Are they greyed out in finder/explorer when you go to right click on them?

If the file is greyed out in the import dialogue when you right click and 'open with' lightroom then you have obviously already carried out that action and the file is already imported into lightroom so should be available in the library.

Hope you don't take this wrong but I do think you need to look at the way you are working with lightroom as it seems that you are creating problems that are difficult for others to help you with due to your very unconventional use of the software which you need to remember that, although it uses the same processing engine as Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom is very much database driven.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 8:45PM

Quote:This my not be the proper/best way but its the way I find suits me.

But it doesn't suit you, as you are finding out. If you work like this you will often run into these kind of problems. Get Lr to catalog your images, move them about and rename them in Lr.

Lr's library module will always do a better job of image management than Windows does - with the bonus that the develop module is state of the art.
sausage Plus
14 552 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 8:18AM
You can only work on images in LR that have been imported into LR. That is the way it works. They are greyed out because they are already in the LR catalogue.
9 Aug 2018 10:21AM
One thing to understand about Lightroom is that when the files are 'imported into Lightroom' the files themselves are not moved within your computer they are catalogued at their address by Lightroom so that it knows where they are. All the files will be left where you put them and Synchronising a folder within Lightroom will update the catalogue to include any new files that have been added and remove files you have deleted from your computer or external drives. It creates a catalogue which it holds in a position which you choose and it will update regularly any changes that you have made to the files it has on record. Synchronising regularly will add any hew files to this catalogue but will remain where you downloaded them.
9 Aug 2018 10:32AM
If you look for tutorials from Julieanne Kost then you may begin to understand a little better. Chris L. is right in that the way you are working is becoming very frustrating for you. Lightroom needs to be understood to get the best from it.
Try this to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l35F8Sy01dY&feature=youtu.be

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.