Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Imagination, creativity and photography

keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 5:13PM

Quote:this whole Rannoch Moor things (wherever that is) must predate my membership
It has been going on a long time, but its not over yet. If you watch the galleries you'll see the same ****** tree so many times ...

Rannoch Moor. Enjoy.

Some of them are really very good, but the votes/clicks as you might expect don't always coincide with the better pictures.
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
31 Mar 2009 5:25PM

Quote:But you get far more clicks taking photos at Rannock Moor or trees at malham or lindesfarne don't you

... don't forget sunsets over water as well Wink
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
31 Mar 2009 5:28PM

Quote:this whole Rannoch Moor things (wherever that is) must predate my membership

Well, I guess it's more a Buchaille Etive Mor thing than a Rannoch Moor thing.... It would seem, from looking at the gallery, that there is just one possible viewpoint, one way of composing the shot and one focal length to use.

You must know the shot - iconic mountain in the BG, waterfall in FG? That's the one.
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 5:51PM
There are a number of shots that have all been taken from the same viewpoint, but there are other options and there are shots in the gallery that represent that, some of mine included. Some may be variations on a theme but I have some shots taken from that area that do not have the mountain in frame.

Bex and David were in full waders back in November to get something different.

Bottom line is that there are spots where the tripods have worn the grass away, but to suggest all shots in the gallery have been taken in exactly the same way is incorrect.
31 Mar 2009 5:55PM
On reflection my more recent gallery items may suggest otherwise though as I have 4 uploads from the same spot!

But there are others, honest.
31 Mar 2009 6:09PM

Quote:but to suggest all shots in the gallery have been taken in exactly the same way is incorrect.

You're probably right. It just looks as if they are...

(I'm not trying to get at anyone in particular as some of the shots (including yours) are pretty good when seen in isolation. It's just the steady Chinese torture of similar photographs which gets me going... Wink)
31 Mar 2009 6:13PM
That is probably fair comment.

Just to put the thread back on track though. I have the technical capability, but I have not shot a frame this year due to an absence of imagination.

I am not going to suggest for one minute that everything I have done before is creative or imaginative, it clearly is not the case, but it is my lack of vision that is stopping me from bothering to go out and take shots at the moment.

I am defaulting to thinking I need to go 'somewhere' to get some good shots, when I know that really what I need to do is come up with something creative to do with what I have around me. However for me, confidence in what I am doing is a key motivator and going from where I am now to a shot that is good and creative is a harder leap than going to something which is just good.

Result is I will pick somewhere photogenic, truck up with my camera and tripod, hopefully get a good, easily repeatable shot and hope that sparks some confidence and thus creativity further down the line.
31 Mar 2009 6:45PM
Yes, I can sympathise with that.

Over on his blog, David Ward (who is now part of the EPZ PA panel) talks about his style as being akin to being a jazz musician. A jazz musician will practice and hone his skills such that he can respond creatively to any situation he's presented with and therefore be able to improvise freely without coming to a dead halt while performing.

Transferring this to photography, it's a good idea to practice different approaches and different subjects so that when you go out with your camera you can respond creatively to whatever you are faced with - be it poor weather or even a lack of inspiration.

This is a technique I try to utilise - although I'm very much still learning my 'chops' - and I usually manage to come away with something from even the most unpromising situations.

One other thing. It's worth taking the pressure off yourself by not thinking you should be creating your best work every time you go out. Sometimes, it's good to just go out to do some practice. Like a musician playing scales or doing studies, the results aren't necessarily for public consumption but it will give you the skills to better take advantage of any shooting situation.
Alciabides 12 536 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 9:22PM

Quote:Quote:this whole Rannoch Moor things (wherever that is) must predate my membership It has been going on a long time, but its not over yet. If you watch the galleries you'll see the same ****** tree so many times ...

Rannoch Moor. Enjoy.

Some of them are really very good, but the votes/clicks as you might expect don't always coincide with the better pictures.

Ok I get this point - I now apprecitae JoolsB clear and sane viewpoint.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
1 Apr 2009 9:43AM

Quote:Just to put the thread back on track though. I have the technical capability, but I have not shot a frame this year due to an absence of imagination.

I thought you'd been quiet on the site mate - in a way I've been through the same thing for quite some time, I've grown tired of doing many of the things I used to love with the camera (landscape especially) I've not been to the dales this year and only live 30 minutes away - had a drive there over Xmas and just felt cold and miserable rather than inspired and driven.

People will groan at this, but get a lensbaby and creative aperutre kit, then go out taking photos of people (friends) at night. Most people look at the results and don't get it - its pretty niche - but of the few people that have used my composer/V2, all but Dave are buying one. He's a very traditionalist Yorkshireman Wink

If that doesn't re-kindle your camera-love, then maybe using off-camera flash could add interest. Dave and I have been doing that and it's been a great learning experience, something new and quite enjoyable.

I still do HDR, but very rarely convert more than 2 or 3 shots from a shoot, just a bit jaded with the workflow taking ages, so it's just the ones that are either new (which are rare for me in Leeds as you'd expect) or just stand out.
1 Apr 2009 9:48AM
I agree with tooths views
1 Apr 2009 10:09AM

Quote:don't forget sunsets over water as well

he he - it did prove a point, did you notice how between each Ponte sunset (averaging 75ish clickz) there was a dark portrait (averaging 18 clickz)

Wink

Was out teaching a complete novice last night and it's so refreshing to see someone so full of enthusiasm to learn new stuff. And guess what... he wants to learn how to do sumptuous sunsets over water Wink

Pontefract, here we come!
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
1 Apr 2009 10:14AM

Quote:Was out teaching a complete novice last night and it's so refreshing to see someone so full of enthusiasm to learn new stuff. And guess what... he wants to learn how to do sumptuous sunsets over water

LOL ... nice to know Dave's still out and about Wink
1 Apr 2009 10:18AM
He actually was called Dave, oddly enough!

But not the one that's gonna kick yer ass when he reads this

Wink

He's still looking for a second battery for his 5D2 Smile
1 Apr 2009 10:19AM

Quote:People will groan at this, but get a lensbaby and creative aperutre kit, then go out taking photos of people (friends) at night. Most people look at the results and don't get it - its pretty niche - but of the few people that have used my composer/V2, all but Dave are buying one. He's a very traditionalist Yorkshireman

I've nothing against the Lensbaby but I'm not sure trying to rekindle the desire to go out taking pictures by just getting some new piece of equipment is the answer. The problem with the Lensbaby is that it's great until over-used then the effect just starts to look like one of those Cokin filters we all like to poke fun at.... I remember the first time I used a starburst filter (remember those?) It felt great at the time but the results were mostly ***** because nobody really needs a starburst in every single shot!!

I'm firmly of the view that if you can't find anything worth photographing then you aren't looking hard enough - or you're looking at the wrong things. If you normally shoot vistas, try something on a more intimate level and vice-versa! Shoot details or wildlife (if there's any around). Try a subject you haven't tried before.

This way, you'll be having fun and learning at the same time. And I reckon that's better than going out with a new toy and getting bored of it after five minutes.

I know the Lensbaby can produce some interesting images but only when used carefully and with knowledge of why you're using it.

I'll get off me soapbox now.... Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.