90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Imagination, creativity and photography

ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
1 Apr 2009 10:37AM
I'm only talking from the experience of using the thing for 4 months myself and watching others (especially Stevej and mulligansmaster, who have not touched their cameras in ages) have a go with it and rediscover their mojo.

the star aperture is fun and pretty novel, but used with the normal round ones, you don't get those "starburst" effects, just a pleasant background blur.

The main excitement of the lensbaby is, as I've said before, "using" it - as in physically handling it, bending it, seeing things come in and out of focus, blurring things, changing apertures for differing effects.

The only thing I've seen similar for DSLR are the T/S lenses, having use Mark Scholey's I can say they are fantastic too, but they aint cheap.

The point we agree on is that if you're bored of digging the same hole, then go start digging a different one. I just think that using a different spade may make the digging process a little more interesting Smile
Strobe 13 1.3k United States
1 Apr 2009 10:43AM
“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” I think the same can be said for creativity and imagination. What one person might think is creative another might think is quite bland or just plain crap, you just need to look at all the posts regarding HDR, Lensbabies to name a few.

For myself creativity and imagination are the most important parts of photography after all that’s why I started taking images and see it as an extension of art. There are some, what I would consider, uncreative images posted here, however I would be the first to admit that they are technically excellent images and therefore make great pictures.

The only problem I have is that I get ideas and often think my camera is my limitation, but I guess that will be rectified in time with practice (or a new camera)
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
1 Apr 2009 10:45AM

Quote:The point we agree on is that if you're bored of digging the same hole, then go start digging a different one. I just think that using a different spade may make the digging process a little more interesting

Fair point. The Lensbaby does bring one of the joys of using a View Camera to the masses, so I suppose I shouldn't be too anti... Wink
Syren 14 51 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 3:38PM
Its one of those subjective subjects isnt it Grin
There is no definative answer only each individuals opinions ...
1 Apr 2009 4:02PM

Quote:Its one of those subjective subjects isnt it

most things life are - except mathematical proofs and no doubt a few other axioms
Strobe 13 1.3k United States
1 Apr 2009 7:15PM
Talk about imagination, or lack of it......

Last night on my way home I saw a doll floating in the canal which I thought would make a good image, I took my camera to work hoping it would still be there this evening, which it was.

I was taking photos when I was approached by someone inquiring if I was a professional TOG, my reply was no. He then went on to continually question why I was taking such morbid images, this went on for a while until he informed me that by taking so many images would not make the photo any better.

he stormed off..... I called him a prat....the end.....
Alciabides 12 536 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 7:16PM

Quote:Its one of those subjective subjects isnt it

and thank G-d for that -- but please please remember that subjective in the relevant sense here does not mean not a matter of reasons! (I know I keep saying this but there is this really irritating and pervasive habit to think that 'subjective' means just what you like which, here, is dead wrong and even worse lazy.) Obviously you didn't mean it in the objectionable sense since you picked out the right point that there can be a range of rationally defensible views not the wrong point which would be that reasons make no difference here.

Rant over! (for now) Smile
1 Apr 2009 7:17PM
Should have shoved him in the canal and said...

"These will be fantastic shots"

As he hit the water and started splashing

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.