Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Importing images into Lightroom Classic

JohnJS 15 14
13 May 2021 1:39PM
I would very much appreciate any help as to how I can import Nikon raw files into Lightroom Clasic. I use a PC with windows 10.
Thanking You John Steadman.
chavender Plus
10 517 1 France
13 May 2021 1:52PM
Your best bet John is to google "import images into lightroom".
There are lots of videos with screen shots showing you how and you can pause and rewind if there are areas where you are unsure.
It is remarkably straightforward.

Bill
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
13 May 2021 4:15PM
Do you mean images already on your computer, or images just taken still on a memory card?

There can be advantages in creating and naming a folder in pictures for a current shoot.

For current images you can connect the card to your computer either via a card reader, or with the cable Nikon provides with many cameras.

There are variations. The way I work is using Import Images in File Option. The Nikon camera shows top left and bottom right shows your pictures folders. Select the appropriate folder and the import option should illuminate. Click import and let the camera finish the job.

WARNING - if you are new to Lightroom with 5,000 images on your computer ideally you need some sort of folder strategy, otherwise if you are not careful Lightroom can import 5,000 images into a single folder - which can take all night - and you cannot easily find anything at this stage.
Railcam 14 926 2 Scotland
13 May 2021 4:57PM
Remember also, you are not actually importing images into Lightroom. Lightroom is merely recording the address of the image on your hard drive and preparing a thumbnail of your image.

I strongly suggest you watch this video on the topic:
chavender Plus
10 517 1 France
13 May 2021 5:29PM
For some reason the last part of my post failed to appear.
I went on to say that,
It is remarkably straightforward to get your images into lightroom but there are several things to be aware of such as where you store and how you file your images etc.This is best decided from the start as it can be a pain to sort out later.
The link that Railcam provided is probably the best and most comprehensive and Julieanne Kost is one of the best tutors.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
14 May 2021 11:36AM
I use a simple file structure which is Year>Month>day. I just create the Year/Month folders and LR adds the day folders which it creates in the Import process. What I do is very simple:

a. I connect my camera to my PC
b. I click "Import" in LR catalogue
c. LR opens the Import page and I select the camera
d. I already have LR set to make a copy on my NAS, build standard smart previews and not to import a duplicate.

I will usually import all of the new files but occasionally may untick obvious problems like a blank frame. I think the key thing is what you do next. I have followed Julieanne Kost advice and use the LR tools/displays to delete unwanted images. I then rate all the rest using the * system. I give 5* only to those I think are exceptional, 4* to image I think worth processing and 3 * to those I will keep but do not think worth processing at this time. Any that would have scored less than 3* will have been deleted. I apply keywords which is easy at this point as the images are probably from a single shoot to will have common keywords. Finally I colour code Blue (unprocessed Raw files). So, if I am editing a few weeks later, I will just display Blue files of 4* and above. After editing I change the Raw file rom Blue to Red and the final edited TIFF/PDF file will be set to Green.

So if I need a competition image for a subject "Street Photography", I can search for Green image 4* and above keyword "Street". I may have to set a date range as many of our competitions have to be recent work. A LR search will find all the relevant files from my 30,000+ within less than half a second. I can then choose and print of export a temporary JPEG version for projection.

Dave
14 May 2021 3:20PM
If they are already in the computer and filed under your own headings then you simply need to open Lightroom Classic and depending on how much you have actually already filed them, those files can be imported to Lightroom by clicking on the file name or just the disk letter - such as D: or G: right click on the mouse and a menu will appear - about half way down is 'Synchronise this folder', click on it and Lightroom will do the rest.
JohnJS 15 14
14 May 2021 6:05PM
Thank you all for your excellent help, I will now have a go at importing images.
Thank you all John Steadman.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.