Importing nef raw files into Lightroom Classic.

JohnJS 13 11
22 Aug 2019 3:58PM
I would appreciate any advice on importing raw images into LR. My wife has recently died and she done it for me, I should have taken more notice how she done it. Any advice from Ephotozine members would be very much appreciated, as it is something I need to get to grips with.
Thanking you.
John Steadman.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
22 Aug 2019 4:35PM
What version of Lightroom have you got?
JohnJS 13 11
22 Aug 2019 7:15PM
I have got Lightroom Classic latest version.
John Steadman.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
22 Aug 2019 8:36PM
Then you should have no problem. Once they are downloaded to your computer you should be able to open them with Lightroom Classic. Navigate to the folder that the photos are in, then If you click on the Import button lower left you should be able to open either a group of images or a single image. You can download the images directly using Lightroom. You will need to have the camera or card reader turned on, go to File>Import photos and video and the images will be saved to your C: drive (If you are using Windows) - not sure about Macs. Personally I find it easier to download images using Bridge direct from camera which will save them in a folder of your choosing. They can then be opened in Lightroom by going to the folder in Lightroom, right click on the folder and choose 'Synchronise' from the menu which will appear. This will update the Lightroom catalogue so that all your images are present in Lightroom. This applies to all files - Raw, Tif, Jpeg etc.

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your wife. Hopefully you can master this and that will help you more to cope with her loss.
Railcam 13 773 2 Scotland
23 Aug 2019 8:41AM
It might be useful to realise that importing images to Lightroom does not actually import the images. What importing images does is record the addresses of the files on your drive and generates thumbnails. The actual image files remain on your hard drive.

I hope this helps as I know many people get confused over this.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2019 9:24AM
I am sorry to hear of your problems.

A first question for some-one with little hands on experience is how do you file your pictures?
This might be by date taken, month, location or any other option you prefer.

Assuming you file by photo sessions within a calendar month if you have a folder for August 2019 you can find this in pictures and then add a new folder within it for August Bank Holiday Aug 2019.
This is an important step as you first need to decide where you are going to store your images on your hard drive.

There are slightly different methods depending on whether you have previously downloaded your images to your hard drive first, and then as a separate operation into Lightroom; or whether you have combined the 2 operations.

Which method are you used to?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.