Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

In hot water

hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
9 Jul 2018 8:40AM
The current record hot spell is saving me money.....

About 18 years ago whilst at an Agricultural Show, I agreed to an offer of a Solar-Hot-Water system from a local Start-Up company. A few weeks later a pair of guys arrived to fit two front-door sized solar panels onto the flat roof of the bathroom which faces due south, it has sun from dawn until dusk.
The system is automatic, if it produces water hotter than the boiler, boiler switches off and vice-versa....normally we have oodles of free hot water from the double insulated cylinder....even on sunny winter days this works.

During the past two weeks we have had record temperatures, with the hottest being water at 73 centigrade.....that is 163 F scalding temperatures totally free, from our hot taps....thank goodness the shower is automatically temperature controlled fir safety.

The system, which included two Solar Panels, a welded steel angled support frame, all piping, larger copper cylinder, thermostat and automatic controls with digital read-out cost a total of 3050 in total.

I reckon that it has paid for itself by now ....

If I was 40 yrs younger, I would invest in ...A Power Generating Solar System, but with me being 80 plus, it’s just not worth it.

The hot water option is a sound investment, if you can find a good company with references to supply and fit.

Sadly, that start-up company folded after around five years.....such a pity, I would love to have given them this feedback.

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhody 15 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 1:01PM
That's a very positive bit of feedback hobo, thank you. I don't have personal experience of solar panels but everyone seems to be happy with their installation - especially since the price dropped dramatically a few years ago.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.