Incredible Macro

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
13 May 2014 7:40PM
I did a video (in association with ePz and thanks joshwa) on the 60mm Olympus macro here .

Leif Sikorski commented on it with this link to show the work of a German photographer using Micro Four Thirds equipment.

It's mind blowing, He's using focus stacking and all. The amount of work must be enormous but it shows what can be done these days with small, lightweight cameras and lenses.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
13 May 2014 8:03PM
Hi David and Joshwa. What a great video - so informative and sensible. I've been thinking of investing in the Oly 60mm macro ever since seeing some of Pete's pics on here but you've made me think again and I might do a comparison with the Pan 45mm before I commit seeing as I use the Panasonic G5.

I love all your tips and the general look of the very professional video. It's definitely bookmarked for future reference.

x
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
13 May 2014 8:55PM
Its a lovely portrait lens as well Smile
sparrowhawk Plus
11 277 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 9:38PM
i love mine
Steppenwolf 8 1.2k
14 May 2014 2:14PM

Quote:I did a video (in association with ePz and thanks joshwa) on the 60mm Olympus macro here.

Leif Sikorski commented on it with this link to show the work of a German photographer using Micro Four Thirds equipment.

It's mind blowing, He's using focus stacking and all. The amount of work must be enormous but it shows what can be done these days with small, lightweight cameras and lenses.

Those macros are amazing. I suppose they're composite pictures made up of many images with different bits of the subject in focus - probably beyond my PS "skills".
Coast 11 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
14 May 2014 3:10PM
Many thanks David. A good video - very informative and the macro images on the link are truly stunning.

The Zuiko 60mm is on my shopping list.

Regards
Paul
14 May 2014 3:50PM

Quote:I did a video (in association with ePz and thanks joshwa) on the 60mm Olympus macro here.

Focus stacking is pretty simple, its certainly not time consuming.
lawbert 12 1.8k 15 England
14 May 2014 8:44PM

Quote:I did a video (in association with ePz and thanks joshwa) on the 60mm Olympus macro

But you start with a 105mm Sigma which will give a black eye to a human portrait subjectWink

Pair it against a slightly more modern lens like the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS which is more expensive but Wholly more useable in any scenario and you could have cut that vid down to 30 secondsTongueWink
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
14 May 2014 10:58PM
Paul, that photographer's work is superb. Even if it was easy - you really believe that? - does that detract from it?

Lawbert, i think you didn't read my post. I said it was amazing what could be done with small, lightweight cameras and lenses. I used DSLRs for forty years to earn my living. i know what they can do. But to my mind they are not lightweight or small.

As for cutting the video to 30 seconds, why would I want to do that?
14 May 2014 11:12PM

Quote:Paul, that photographer's work is superb. Even if it was easy - you really believe that? - does that detract from it?

I was talking about stacking, not the macro.

Macro can be fiddly, but the stacking bit is a doddle provided you have the pictures.
15 May 2014 10:51PM

Those macros are amazing. I suppose they're composite pictures made up of many images with different bits of the subject in focus - probably beyond my PS "skills".

Nah you should be capable, if your not using Photoshop try Combine ZM or ZP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMiKUnVAFks
Steppenwolf 8 1.2k
16 May 2014 8:32AM
Thanks - I'll try it, though messing about on PCs is not may favourite pastime.

I've often thought that DSLRs should have "focus bracketing" - mainly because their focus accuracy can be a bit iffy but this would be another use for it. They provide exposure bracketing which is pretty unnecessary now with the exposure latitude that modern sensors allow, but no one's yet implemented focus bracketing to my knowledge.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
16 May 2014 8:56AM
I have wondered this myself but are autofocus mechanisms be accurate enough to give focus bracketing - it seems to be most often used for close ups of insects and the like, and the change in focus would have to be measured in millimetres (or shorter)?
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
16 May 2014 12:26PM
It would be interesting to see focus bracketing on a camera, but like exposure bracketing you'd probably only get 3-5 images. My advice is to use a precise rack or a rail, I sometimes use these to create images from stacks in excess of a 100 images, can't see a camera coping with that lot somehow, but I'd certainly love to see it as it would make my life much easier!!!!Wink

However at magnification ratios of 1:1 there isn't any real need to stack beyond 4-6 images at the most IMHO, it's only when you're shooting stacks above this magnification ratio that the stacking of images comes into it's own.......On that note I'm off out with me kit, can't miss this glorious weather were having at the momentWink
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
16 May 2014 1:04PM
Ade - when you are stacking so many images, can you move the rack that accurately between shots or do you just work it back and forwards multiple times over as the same short distance?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.