Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Infrared DNG Profiler

1 Jun 2020 12:53PM
HI, I'm dipping my toe into the mysterious world of inferred photography but I seen to have fallen at the first hurdle!

From the reading I have done to date I understand that I need to get a profile to correct the red tint the images develop once imported into lightroom. I thought I had found this but my computer can't instal it!

I've tried going into System Preferences and saying "open anyway' but still get the same message...

I'll add a screenshot of the message I'm getting. I working on a 2011 IMac and running High Sierra 10.13.6.169003_1591012323.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

1 Jun 2020 1:13PM
All good now but thank you anyway to anyone who stops to read this Smile
altitude50 16 18.8k United Kingdom
1 Jun 2020 2:15PM
Good to see another photographer delving into IR photography. I have been doing it for about 3 years now and currently use a converted Panasonic GX 7. I do not have LR but use Elements and Nik on a PC. I only keep to straight black & white images because that is 'what I know'. Interested to see some of your results.
You might first take a look at the lens 'hotspot' database at Kolarivision.
1 Jun 2020 2:27PM

Quote:Good to see another photographer delving into IR photography. I have been doing it for about 3 years now and currently use a converted Panasonic GX 7. I do not have LR but use Elements and Nik on a PC. I only keep to straight black & white images because that is 'what I know'. Interested to see some of your results.
You might first take a look at the lens 'hotspot' database at Kolarivision.

Hi, and thank you for the pointer to the database. That will be very useful.

My partner has been taking IR photos for a while now and Iíve been watching his progress with interest. He has just had another camera body converted so Iím having a go with his old one. Itís a canon 40d and will give me a good starting point.

I had my first trip out with it yesterday. If Iíve managed to get anything of interest Iíll post it in the gallery here for you to see.....
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
1 Jun 2020 10:55PM
I got into this a few years ago after I had my Canon EOS 20D converted to IR. I also used the free Adobe DNR profile Editor downloaded from Adobe Labs. I used this in conjunction with an X-Rite Colour Checker to create profiles for each of my other cameras but also used this software to create the special profile for IR. The profiles were all installed in the relevant Adobe storage area and LR set to choose profiles according to the camera serial number. So, when I upload my images to LR from a camera it automatically tags the image with the correct profile. It is fascinating how the redish thumbnails are turned neutral after uploading. I have processed some of my IR as colour and recommend Clive Haynes website for general advice on IR or even take a look at my website. For competitions, I find many judges do not recognise colour IR and tend to think you have used some Naff PS filter so mark it low. Very occasionally a judge will recognise as IR and may like. So, I generally stick to the more traditional B&W IR which tends to be universally recognised.

Dave
2 Jun 2020 8:52AM
Hi Dave, thanks very much for your reply all very helpful! Iíve had a little look at your website and you have some very nice images. I will look look again later when I have more time, and the same with Clive Haynes. I think I tend to be more drawn to IR black and white but I might in time try colour..... Jude
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
2 Jun 2020 9:52AM
One of the best times of day to take IR photographs is in bright sunlight around the middle of the day just when you will not want to take conventional photographs. I have also found that this is the one occasion when I find "Smart objects" useful in LR/PS. When you edit the IR raw files it is difficult to judge how it will look when colour channel swapping etc. is done which is later in the process.

Each of my children asked for a large print to hang on their wall. My daughter chose a rather touristy shot of Lake Louise in Alberta but my son chose a colour IR shot of a Cotswold field.

Dave
altitude50 16 18.8k United Kingdom
2 Jun 2020 11:56AM
I have just learned a lot reading the above. When I started IR I was using a Sigma SD15 slr with the IR filter just behind the lens removed and a dark red filter (various strengths) over the front of the lens. Couldn't see anything through the viewfinder nor on the screen. I focused at near infinity and hosepiped around to get the framing, all landscapes at f 8 or f11. Later I added a Yashica optical viewfinder to the hot shoe, that helped. I did manage to get a few images that I was pleased with. Sold that & 3 good lenses on.

Now I have decided that the best results on my micro 4/3 are with a Leica 15 mm Summilux and prefer to not use zooms, which makes me look at the subject more closely and work out the best way to approach it. Shooting in b/w effect so that I can see the type of result on the screen and with jpeg + raw. I was committed to 830 nm because I bought the camera ready converted, so false colour IR difficult.
I do shoot at around midday and the angle of the sun to camera does seem to make a big difference to the detail and contrast.
Looking forward to getting out again and using the camera, this year, perhaps..............

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.