ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
8 Nov 2011 8:52AM

Quote:innovation [ˌɪnəˈveɪʃən]
n
1. something newly introduced, such as a new method or device
2. the act of innovating
innovational adj
innovationist n

To what extent have we got to the stage where "innovation" in photography and imaging comes purely from post processing techniques?

Do the subjects we see photographed stay largely the same, but the way they are "presented" change with new software innovations?

Do photographers challenge themselves to innovate with the camera, to find something new from familiar locations, or are they happy to reproduce the same source files and innovate on the PC/Mac?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 9:37AM
Innovation in camera is more difficult these days, because although technology has moved on the underlying principles have not changed radically. If new types of subjects became available (eg aliens with 3 heads) innovations would, for a time, be more easily discovered. Alternately, sensors able to operate at different wavelengths (such as UV or microwave) would create a rush to innovate.

The longer things are around the less chance there is to truly innovate. Very often, you think you have done something totally different only to find that it has been done before, you just didn't know about it.

That raises another aspect I've often thought about. Are you innovating if you do something you have never seen before, even if it has been done?
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Nov 2011 9:43AM
I think there are two areas where innovation occurs that does not involve post-processing (how I hate that term!)

One is the genuine artistic innovation where someone sees the world, or part of it, in a new, creative way.

The second comes from advances in camera technology, as a result of which we can take photographs that would have been impossible (or difficult) in the past.

Just had a glance through the latest Digital Camera and Photography Monthly magazines - I would say that about half of the photographs that had me saying "Wow!" were the result of software manipulation and the other half new ways of looking at old subjects or new subjects or something else. Possibly 10% of that half could truly be described as "innovative".

digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 9:51AM
I can't remember the photographers name, but a while ago on here there was a guy taking stunning photos of birds in flight, often near milk bottles. He had developed a rig for himself with all sorts of triggers and flashes and the results were amazing.

I would call that innovative and it fits with John's point about advances in technology.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 10:20AM

Quote:That raises another aspect I've often thought about. Are you innovating if you do something you have never seen before, even if it has been done?

I think so. It can certainly be disappointing to find later that someone else already thought of it but that should not take away the fact that the person worked it through themselves, even if only for their own sense of pride.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
8 Nov 2011 11:03AM
Photography has been around for over 150 years now................any camera no matter how sophisticated is essentially a light proof box with a lens at one end and a film/sensor at the other.........I don't need to explain photographer, except that they vary wildly in both skill and experience................some are techie camera buffs, others are Photographic Artists....the remainder come somewhere in between:

Except for technological advances and changes in fashion the natural world around us remains the same, buildings are buildings, humans are humans,animals are animals and birds are birds etc etc.....................it is pretty obvious it is getting increasingly difficult to truly innovate photographically................we mustn't forget centuries of ART and PRINTING either ........many innovations regarding image have already been explored and used:

What a Photographer/Artist needs is......................THE EYE...................to spot the unusual, the beautiful and the weird in the all too familiar world around him.....and then to be able to process his initial capture in a unique or special way that should create an emotional reaction in the viewer................whether in the Dark-Room or in Photo-Shop or other Graphics software:

Above I don't include the wildlife recorder or product photographer, they need to record things as accurately and as sharply as possible................I guess I have missed many other point out...................I am sure that others will like to add further observations?

Above all......just enjoy our fantastic hobby/profession:

Hobbo
66tricky 13 742 Scotland
8 Nov 2011 12:47PM

Quote:I can't remember the photographers name, but a while ago on here there was a guy taking stunning photos of birds in flight, often near milk bottles. He had developed a rig for himself with all sorts of triggers and flashes and the results were amazing.

I would call that innovative and it fits with John's point about advances in technology.

I had a mate back in the late 80s doing that with an OM4 and T32s.
8 Nov 2011 7:23PM
interesting

well the question was all about "doing something new"

I think leftforum hit the nail on the head when he said...

Quote:One is the genuine artistic innovation where someone sees the world, or part of it, in a new, creative way.

That's what I was getting at

so many of the new "looks" we get are down to the post processing that goes on, basically a re-work of existing standard photographs to create something new - rather than creating something new whilst shooting.

The reason may well be that after 150 years, most things have been done Wink

With many locations there are the "standard views" which we all associate with them - would looking for something a bit different than that standard view be innovative?

I've just done a workshop here and its an interesting exercise to look through the images and see the themes. Occasionally you get something very different - are those that don't conform to the usual patterns/themes innovative?
Eviscera 14 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 8:09PM
You spamming again Ade ? Wink

But fwiw , perhaps innovation is a little constrained by many of the basic rules we learn and slavishly adhere to.

The standard ratio (6x4 exp) portrait or landscape , the taboo of blowing highlights , the thirds , that tack sharpness in a landscape , converging verticals etc etc.

Innovative photography will happen when , those standards are just a grid , and technology allows the full audio visual 3d experience ..

Holograms
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
8 Nov 2011 8:12PM

Quote:The reason may well be that after 150 years, most things have been done

I guess the first real war seen through the eyes of photographers would have been the American Civil war, but some of those plate camera`s were so big they had to be carried on the back of specially converted wagons.

These days soldiers carry head cams attached to there helmets Smile

One of the greatest modern innovations in photography has to be video, camera`s are getting smaller and smaller and can go places not imagined just a few years ago and used both for film and stills.

A few interesting links, there`s going to be interesting times ahead, no matter what brand of camera you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftFMenGAd2A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXwYvMmxik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fnZjvFbm42w
8 Nov 2011 9:06PM

Quote:You spamming again Ade ?

moi ??? ?

holographic cameras... that'd be interesting.

guess you'd need new monitors to view them ?
8 Nov 2011 9:09PM

Quote:holographic cameras... that'd be interesting

3D`s just starting to make an impact and there`s one or two lenses available.
8 Nov 2011 9:31PM
any for an EOS?
8 Nov 2011 9:35PM
None for eos as of yet, here`s one from Panasonic, I`m sure Canon will bring one out.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-panasonic-12-5mm-f12-lumix-g-3d-lens-micro-four-thirds-fit/p1522634
Eviscera 14 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 9:47PM
Replaces "spamming" with networking Wink

No, the projection device will be the same , the camera will be able to see around the subject matter using refraction technology.

You will be able to pan the 3d ,

Anyways , good to see into the future

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.