Inspiration from the art world.

Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
28 Dec 2012 11:09AM
Thanks Chris, whilst I'd heard of Vermeer, I'd never really looked at his stuff. Without checking his PF I'm sure the girl with the pearl earrings was used by DeLone as inspiration for one of his images. Thanks for pointing me to his work.

Interesting using colour over grey tonal image, not dissimilar to a technique I've been using in some of my muted colour work.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.3k 30 England
28 Dec 2012 12:26PM

Quote:Interesting using colour over grey tonal image, not dissimilar to a technique I've been using in some of my muted colour work

Yes, it's a good look. Smile

My all time favourite painting though is this one http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1695058/print , the most captivating painting I've ever seen. It glows. It was exhibited at the National Gallery last year and knocked spots off of everything else. Portraits aren't my thing photographically, but some artworks just mesmerise.

Sorry, going off topic.
x
miptog 13 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2012 1:12PM

Quote:.......the most captivating painting I've ever seen. It glows.

Often portrait paintings of this type were built up in layers, in such a manner that the light reflected differently on different parts of the layer to give and effect, which to the best of my knowledge, cannot be replicated in standard photographic print. I often feel that the masters knew so much about light and shadow, and I am just a mere novice.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
28 Dec 2012 1:36PM
Chris, I don't think you went off topic at all, besides I don't care where the discussion goes, I started the thread to help provide inspiration, and sometimes that can come from unexpected avenues.

Michael, to get such effects photographically would be difficult - yes for web but not print. I've worked in colour/ paint all my working life. It's a result of refractive index of the media oil/acrylic) the pigments used - often translucent so underlying shades tone filter through. Remember too often what we see isn't what the artist painted, oils yellow with time, pigments fade or change hue, then there's blend from the substrate etc, etc so what now looks drab, would often have been spectacular.
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
28 Dec 2012 4:30PM
you ever taken inspiration from the movies Nick?

I sometimes try to light things using stuff I've seen in films - harsh back lights from Sin City, top lights from those street-corner films in film noir... that kinda thing.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
28 Dec 2012 4:54PM
I've started experimenting Ade, a couple I did in the "Death of a Dalesman" were (tho I was travelling light with work so only had one speedlight so had to "layer" the image) - it is something I will be doing more of (also using variants of teal & Orange toning). It is something I would like to explore much more.
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
28 Dec 2012 11:27PM

Quote:Interesting using colour over grey tonal image, not dissimilar to a technique I've been using in some of my muted colour work

Try looking at the work of Whistler, he used a similar technique of muted tones.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
30 Dec 2012 8:52PM
chalkhillblue 10 164 2 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 10:55AM
Thank you for the link Paul, what a fascinating lady, well worth viewing.
David
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
31 Dec 2012 5:53PM
Thanks for the link Paul Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.