30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Inspiration needed

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 11:52AM
Having not picked up my camera properly for a while apart from taking snap shots of the kids I need some inspiration to get back into the swing of things, I'm really interested in portrait photography and have browsed the net and found some quite good images but wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction of the greats, thanks Debbie
21 Feb 2010 12:11PM
or even any good portrait photographers on here especially those who work outdoors, as much as I love studio photography I don't have the facilities to do this any more thanks again
Picture_Newport 12 659 19 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 12:14PM
You could do a lot worse than lok at some of the work on here.

Have a look at.

This Guy
This Guy
This Guy
or This Guy

HTH's

Regards

Paul
User_Removed 14 485 13 England
21 Feb 2010 1:09PM
i agree those are the ones i would've picked too. I think Truex's stuff is massively under-rated on here which is a great shame as his work is superb

rgds
Dave
Quote:You could do a lot worse than lok at some of the work on here.

Have a look at.

This Guy
This Guy
This Guy
or This Guy

HTH's

Regards

Paul

i agree those are the ones i would've picked too. I think Truex's stuff is massively under-rated on here which is a great shame as his work is superb

rgds
Dave
21 Feb 2010 2:14PM
Just came accross this young ladies work, may also be worth a look at.
21 Feb 2010 2:23PM
And This Guy.
rhody 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 2:27PM
Annabel Williams could offer you some inspirational ideas - especially for thinking outside the box for outside portraits.

Annabel Williams

She also has a 99 Portrait Idea book which is well worth a read - about 15 in the shops

She also has some articles on epz which are worth reading - especially for developing the right mental attitude etc
21 Feb 2010 3:06PM
thanks definately some inspirational works in these portfolios, would be pleased to produce work to even half of there standard
stevenb Plus
17 281 7 England
21 Feb 2010 4:26PM
Hello Debbie . I notice you live in Hull, some suggestion which are not far away from where you live . These are all places where people dress up and love having their photos taken (free to you )
Whitby in April ( Goth/ Victorian clothing )
Pickering second w/end in Oct ( 40's war weekend )
Whitby ilast w/end in Oct ( Goth/ Victorian clothing )
Robin Hoods Bay early Dec ( Victorian Christmas )
There's lots of other events in your area also where people dress up
such as steam fairs etc .
Outdoor portraits are my main interest and these are some of the places I visit.

Hope this helps Debbie and the best of luck

Bill
raulzee 11 1
24 Feb 2010 11:25PM
Sofis, I hope this helps.
I will be 80 years old soon and I have been taking pictures since I was about 16. I too looked for inspiration but learned that what I needed to do is just take pictures that said something to me.
As I look back now, I find that I should have taken pictures of people in public places, children playing, sports events, cars, trucks and buses that are no longer there. See what I mean? I could have recorded history so that my great grand children could see a trolley or tram or steam driven train that is no longer there.
I missed the opportunity by waiting for inspiration.
Take care, Blessings, Raulzee
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Feb 2010 3:59AM
Words of wisdom Raulzee. When I think back on my life and travels, I really regret not having the foresight to carry a camera with me. I suppose all we can do now is make sure we take those photos now.
stevie 17 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2010 5:36AM
Hi Debbie
I don't do much portrait photography but my simple suggestions would be to firstly, take LOTS of photographs - the more you do, the more ideas come to mind, look at as much other photographers work as possible (especially the very best), get people to look at your stuff as much as possible (epz is a very good place to do that!) and, if possible, join a group/club of photographers with similar interests to you.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
25 Feb 2010 12:05PM
if you're just starting out with portraits, take photos of people near windows as that's a great source of natural and directiona light.

if you have them at an angle to the window, part of their face will be lit, the other in shade

that's a good cheap way to start

then make a reflector from silver foil and cardboard and use that to bounce light on to them

if you enjoy that, then maybe get a flash or some lights at a later date
25 Feb 2010 1:59PM
Thanks for all your help some great advice here and as I already said you've pointed me in the direction of some truely inspirational photographers with great portfolios of work. I'm not new as such to taking portraits I do have many more in my personal portfolio from a few years ago (can't really put them up here as I don't have model releases or permission from the models who I no longer am in touch with) but I used equipment from college/uni. Now I just have my Camera I did buy a cheap flash from ebay quite a while back but it doesn't seem to work properly (or it may be my lack of experience with flash) we never got taught how to use flash apart from studio flash, its a sigma ef-430st not sure if its any good really I could do with learning more about flash and how to use it properly, anyway thanks again for all your help

Debbie
Henshall 11 12 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2010 11:17PM
http://www.sambrill.co.uk/music.html

Dont know if i have done the link properly but this guy always gets me wanting to take pictures again!

Im a massive fan of the music stuff, have a look!

Oli

sam brill

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.