Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Instant PC view

dutch01 17 58 England
4 Nov 2005 12:23PM
Hi Peeps

I have been half told about some software which enables you to view the camera image directly from the camera, I am looking to do some portrait shots over the next week and thought this may be a great assett. Is there anyone that can p[oint me in the right direction.

Dutch
klewis 17 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2005 12:28PM
The EOS capture program will allow you to see the image AFTER you have taken the shot on a pc. There is no way of seeing a live preview from a DSLR direct from the sensor as it is covered by the mirror and the shutter curtain until you press the shutter.

There is a gadget called a zigview which clips onto the viewfinder and is basically a small CCD camera which looks through the viewfinder and displays it on a small LCD screen but it doesnt have a video output.
dutch01 17 58 England
4 Nov 2005 12:34PM
Thanx

Does this show instant, ie not having to disturb camera on tripod, I guess what I am looking for is to be able to check the lighting and composition immediately. I do undaerstand the principles of SLR cameras, however I was told that you could control the camera functions from the PC via this software.

Dutch
klewis 17 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2005 12:39PM
you can set aperture and shutter and take the image from the pc dutch but not see the image until the camera downloads it into the program. The zigview is very low resolution so it wouldn't make a good preview device even if you could output the video
dutch01 17 58 England
4 Nov 2005 12:44PM
I guess I'm trying to cheat a little, I was hoping I was able to use my laptop as the onboard LCD to get a clearer
preview, eyes not as good as they used to be.

Dutch
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2005 1:16AM
You can certainly review an image on the laptop immediately after you have taken it, which is the same functionality as you get from the onboard LCD. You just can't have a live view through the lens before you take the shot.
tonyvizard 19 19
5 Nov 2005 1:42AM
Have a look at DSLR Remote (I think) at www.breezebrowser.com - all for Canon EOS systems and downloadable.
dutch01 17 58 England
5 Nov 2005 6:46AM
Thanks

I will have a look.

Dutch
stevenb Plus
18 281 7 England
5 Nov 2005 8:41AM
Within the last couple of weeks one of our camera club members gave a demonstration using his Canon G6. What he did was to ask a person to stand in as the model, he mounted the camera on tripod, set up the lighting and adjusted to suit, to camera was conected to a digital projector which in turn allowed the audience to view the effects on a big screen. I'm pretty sure that you can also link it uo directly to a PC or laptop. The software used was Canon ZoomBrowser EX . Which comes with quite afew Canon cameras such as EOS 300 , EOS 10D, G5 , G6, etc
stevenb Plus
18 281 7 England
5 Nov 2005 8:42AM
Within the last couple of weeks one of our camera club members gave a demonstration using his Canon G6. What he did was to ask a person to stand in as the model, he mounted the camera on tripod, set up the lighting and adjusted to suit, to camera was conected to a digital projector which in turn allowed the audience to view the effects on a big screen. I'm pretty sure that you can also link it uo directly to a PC or laptop. The software used was Canon ZoomBrowser EX . Which comes with quite afew Canon cameras such as EOS 300 , EOS 10D, G5 , G6, etc

Bill
stevenb Plus
18 281 7 England
5 Nov 2005 8:48AM
Hi Dutch just checked your site portfolio the Canon 10d comes with the Zoombrowser, so you should be ok.

Bill
dutch01 17 58 England
5 Nov 2005 9:19AM
Thanks Peeps

I dug out the disk which came with 20d and surprise surprise there was "Capture", all I need is a slightly longer lead and I will be fine. Will hopefully post some of my experiments later on in the week.

Dutch

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.