WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Interesting but not costly photo sites in NW england

wbk666 15 61
4 Sep 2005 5:00PM
I need some ideas for places where my young son and I can go practice our photography.
Ideally these would be in the north west of England and not expensive to visit.
Any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Wayne
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
4 Sep 2005 5:15PM
South Yorkshire Kart Club at Wombwell Karting Circuit? It's one of Wotashot's haunts.
carlos73x 17 9
5 Sep 2005 12:26AM
Take him for a weekend (or daytrip) in Blackpool, the lights are on soon, plenty to get your camera going!
User_Removed 16 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 1:30AM
Just to name a few, you have Walton Hall Gardens which has a Farm yard like zoo, great for kids and its free, there is lots and lots of grey squirrels, rabits and birds also a pond with a small waterfall with Koi carp and ducks, coots etc. You also have the Bridge Water Canal running along side so there is also plenty of opportunity to catch shots of boats etc (Rosie and Jim's boat can be seen sometimes if your lucky Wink)

I also found This Link which gives you lots of parks, walks etc to visit, I haven't looked if there is admission fees though, so apologies if there is!

Formby is a good place to go, I've been, some squirrel shots in my profile... There is also thinking about it West Kirby, you can see seals and wind surfers there, also some nice rocky irelands to visit!

One last one, I'm on a role here is Risley Moss which is two minutes down the road from me, has bird hides with woodpeckers, finches, robins etc. etc. all coming in to feed! And FREE!

The above should keep you busy and I hope its of some help.

Kind Regards
Craig Smile
nikon5700ite 16 1.8k
5 Sep 2005 2:41AM
Does your town/city have a botanical gardens, or boating pond? I go for walks and often see something which takes my fancy, unusual or funny ... such as the time I found a pair of padlocks held together by a length of wire securing a pair of wire gates. Then a plain house wall with the shadow of a TV aerial on it. A lopsided windvane, a gate with a 'beware of the dog' picturing a fierce alsation and in the house window was a porcelain dog ....don't get something every walk ... but carry my camera with me for most walks.
My site may give you ideas about what to look for ....
We are lucky in that there are numerous beaches and coves around our city [100T] and often the walk is along them.
I have only been to a 'paying' site in recent times which was when my Grand-daughter visited us and we went to the zoo and an exhibition for her benefit and most of the shots were family snaps.
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 3:09AM
Hi welcome to EPZ Wayne, how about the Lighthouse Watch at New Brighton on Friday 9th sept at 7pm, its only about 45 minutes from Leigh

Stu
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
5 Sep 2005 5:10AM
Doh! My geography ain't good. You want NW, I've pointed you NE. Sorry Wayne.
jeanie Plus
16 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 5:12AM

Quote:Take him for a weekend (or daytrip) in Blackpool, the lights are on soon, plenty to get your camera going!

The Illuminations are lighting the skies now, they were switched on Friday night. They will burn till the first weekend in November.

Jeanie

ok, not right now, as it's daylight, but you know what I mean : )
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:42AM
Some lovely places near Burnley are Gawthorpe Hall and Towneley Hall . They are both lovely buildings surrounded by park/woodland. Towneley is a museum and is free entry and well worth visiting. I think there's a small charge to go into Gawthorpe, but the grounds are free. Have fun!
Debbie.
deviant 16 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:48AM
Formby Point. 14 miles north of Liverpool. Has a red squirrel sanctuary that's about 3 to get in. Squirrels will come within 10ft.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.