Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Interview advice - what to wear????

kokobrown 16 1.9k Scotland
14 Sep 2009 11:45PM
First of all..thanks to everyone who has shown a bit of support for me and the way ive been feeling of late!

Second of all Im after some advice!

Ive got an interview tomorrow with a big fashion company and extremely nervous!

Ive obviously swotted up about the company and know what there all about... but wondering about what to wear..yes guys the age old debate - i have nowt to wear lol!!

Seeing as how its a fashion company I obviously want to show my personality.. It says dont wear a suit unless thats what your comfortable in... so should I go like formal..black jacket black boots..?? I was going to wear a dress and jeggings with flats.. a bit funkier??

so confused!

Also whats good questions to ask the interviewer at the end..?

Ie.. is there room to progress??

any advice?

xxx

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2009 11:57PM
I am not in fashion etc, but can I pass on some general advice.

On a piece of paper write down what it is you expect from this job.

Then write down what you expect to get from the job

and finally write down what you think you bring.

Your expectations set out the questions you should ask. your aspirations you ought to find a way of sharing. After all they will be looking at you with two thoughts, how do you fit today's vacancy, and what could you bring in the future.

As for dressing, from the above you should dress to suit what you think you bring and matches the style of the company. It also needs to be clothes you feel comfortable in. So if you know about the company how formal are they. I guess you are being hired to both fit in and take photo's. An interest and awareness of fashion must be important.

But always remember an interview is a two way thing, you need to convince each other you are going to be good for one another. So do not be afraid to put a bit of time in to ask about career development. Few of us walk into the perfect job, but it is reasonable to explore how some of your long term goals can be met.
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
14 Sep 2009 11:58PM
Can't help on clothing, fashion's never been my thing...but from an interviewer point of view I get fed up with interviewing people who haven't got a clue about the business. Do a bit of research and find out a few interesting elements that pop questions up that you could ask to A) show you are interested in the company and B) that you have done some research.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 12:02AM
Oh another tip, and it relates to Pete's, it does no harm to think of a piece of work you are proud of to talk about, also if the company has done something you think is good ask them about it?

If creative people start talking about what has worked well it can break some of the ice in the interview. So you researched this company, what have they done you think was special or good, now think of a few questions about that. At the worst they think you have looked at their work, at the best it makes the interview easier.
15 Sep 2009 12:12AM
Thanks guys..

All really good advice. I have done quite a bit of research on the company, thats a good idea highlighting something positive and talking about it..so ive got a few points to raise and ive written down questions likes..what does the company value the most, whats experience and background does the team bring to the department and does room for development etc..

do those sound okay?

xx
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
15 Sep 2009 12:21AM
I did a training course once on Interviewing.

In addition to the advice already given.
The three basic things that interviewers look for (or should) is:
Can you do the job?
Will you do the job?
Will you fit in?

Be honest and don't to pull the wool over their eyes.
A good interviewer will be reading your body language as soon as you walk through the door.

I would suggest smart dress, remember that first impressions as you walk through the door will count.
Interviewers tend to react better to people they identify with.
If you were going for a job at a bank or something then a business suit would be the thing to wear.
I have no idea what they wear in fashion companies!

Hope that is of some use to you.

Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it.

Smile
cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
15 Sep 2009 7:18AM

Quote:Also whats good questions to ask the interviewer at the end..?

you could ask whether the company has any involvement with the local community?

Good luck
15 Sep 2009 10:24AM
Thanks guys!!

My stomach feels like ive done a row of backflips...soo nervous!

Ill let you know how I get on!

xx
Freefall 16 675 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 11:46AM
I know it's difficult not be nervous, but having interviewed lots of people in my life believe me when I say that it's of not value to the company not to get the best out of you - the people interviewing you want you to do your best, and from that perspective they're on your side.

One watch point - and it relates directly to nervousness (which we all have when we're in an interview) - listen to the questions & answer them! Sounds simple, but the number of times I've asked a question and had an answer that is no way related to what I asked never ceases to amaze me. Rule of thumb - listen to the question, if you're not sure what's being asked ask for a clarification, take a mental deep breath to pull a couple of thoughts together, and then answer. The second or two breathing space between question and answer will serve you well Smile

Good luck!!
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
15 Sep 2009 10:26PM

Quote:big fashion company and extremely nervous!

Do not wear anything from their Number 1 competitor !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.