Intrusive apostrophes

saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
26 Jan 2013 4:36PM

Quote:That's what I typed.

Another thing that makes me grumpy is that I need new reading glasses.

You need to post this in the "What made you grumpy today" thread.Grin

Malc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
26 Jan 2013 4:37PM

Quote:....not healthy having your head up your arse ... trust me

Why not? Wink

Quote:Is that
Alansnap, alansnap or Alan Snap?

or Alan's nap?
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
26 Jan 2013 4:41PM

Quote: Try here instead.

. . . I've been a member for ages.

Having worked as a compositor, a proofreader and currently as a teaching assistant, the ability to use apostrophes correctly has always been a prerequisite rather than an option and as such, it puzzles me that so many people can't understand how to do it.

It's not as if it's difficult.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
26 Jan 2013 4:45PM

Quote:
It's not as if it's difficult.

Sorry, but why do you assume that everyone else is as clever as you are at grammar?
Are you saying that all who get it wrong are morons/thick/lazy, or whatever?

I'm off to look for some photography threads.

Bye.
26 Jan 2013 4:50PM

Quote:Are you saying that all who get it wrong are morons/thick/lazy, or whatever?

No. I didn't say that at all.

All I said was that using apostrophes isn't difficult. Which it isn't.
26 Jan 2013 5:21PM
As was said before, this a photography site, and while the forums are full of all sorts of views, opinions and topics, do we really need a thread about incorrect use of apostrophes? Maybe a post in the 'What Makes Me Grumpy' thread would have been better?

While i do agree that correct use should be taught and learned at school, this is a more informal place and i don't really see it as that important here.
alansnap 16 577 26 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 5:39PM
Oh dear, this seems to have kicked things off. Grin

Yes, this a photographic site, designed to help people with their photography, but the medium of expression is English, and there are a few fundamentals that should be correct.

It's up there with eats, shoots, and leaves; or should that be eats shoots and leaves?

Cheers,

Alan
26 Jan 2013 5:42PM
I wouldn't worry Alan.

It's in the 'off topic discussion' area, after all and without wishing to appear impolite, no-one actually has to take part.
26 Jan 2013 5:44PM

Quote:I wouldn't worry Alan.

It's in the 'off topic discussion' area, after all and without wishing to appear impolite, no-one actually has to take part.

Especially i they are not native English speakers, it seems
Sooty_1 9 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 5:49PM
While I agree, it's a photographic site, every site usually has an off-topic or discussion section, and there's no problem - if you aren't interested, don't contribute to a thread, rather than be rude.

It's not just on forum posts either. I've looked at a lot of the websites of members on here, and I'm frankly appalled at some of the punctuation and grammatical errors. If people are wanting to be taken professionally (and if selling a service or photos, I'm guessing you want to be taken that way), surely it pays to be as correct as possible? While English ability doesn't have a direct bearing on photographic ability, the fact that people can't be bothered to check or get it checked, would suggest to me that might extend to their professional work ethic too.

Using apostrophes is not difficult, and it is a part of our written language. You don't need to be clever to use them, but would you want people to think you were stupid for not being able to use them, even in a very basic sense? It takes 10 minutes of reading and practice to get the basics right...probably less than the time to read the first chapter of your camera manual, and probably less time than reading the posts on this thread.

Nick
thewilliam 11 6.1k
26 Jan 2013 6:07PM
My father told me that only greengrocer's are allowed to use apostrophe's to denote plural's. And for them it's obligatory.
RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
26 Jan 2013 10:52PM
"Those smelly things are my brothers"

Make sense of that without correct punctuation!
29 Jan 2013 8:27PM
Check out Mr Cad's website if you want to see multiple examples of this crime against correct grammar. More "camera's" than you can shake a stick at!

It looks so unprofessional and makes me wonder whether their service suffers the same poor attention to detail.

There, I have linked photography and apostrophe use!
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
29 Jan 2013 8:35PM

Quote:Mr Cad's website

Blimey, they still around.

I vaguely recall buying one or two things in their store about 20 years ago but was not too keen on their approach to selling.... bit too " pushy " for my liking.
RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
29 Jan 2013 8:35PM

Quote:Check out Mr Cad's website

Interestingly, it's only "camera's" that get the apostrophe treatment. Everything else seems to be ok on a quick look-through.Can't work out why this should be.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.