Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

IPad Pro for serious editing...a question

hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
3 Apr 2019 11:45AM
I have pre-ordered the new iPad/Mac photo editing software ....PIXELMATOR-PRO.....for my iPad Pro...

I know that the iPad will handle the RAW editing of photos on layers, but need to use, external storage, to save edited pics to.
Mine are saved as usually saved on Windows 10 as flattened dngís, and smaller JPEGS to a 3 terabyte external drive....

Question? Is there a connector avalble to join my iPad Pro and an external drive please?

My old Photoshop SC6 and Nik Efex still work on my Viao laptop connected to a 27inch monitor....but....for how much longer?

Any advice welcome.

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
3 Apr 2019 3:13PM
I understand it has a USB 3 connection and I have external drives connected to a USB3 port on my laptop so see no reason why that should create any problems on an iPad
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2019 3:53PM

Quote:Question? Is there a connector avalble to join my iPad Pro and an external drive please?

Quote:I understand it has a USB 3 connection and I have external drives connected to a USB3 port on my laptop so see no reason why that should create any problems on an iPad

Unfortunately not so simple, iPad Pro has a USB C connector (Essentially a mini USB 3 port) but one of the things it will not do is talk to an external hard drive...(One of the reasons I have bypassed an iPad and have stayed with an android tablet)

I did do some research and the best way appeared to be a Wi Fi adaptor, such as the RavPower Filehub, or a wireless HD....
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
3 Apr 2019 6:12PM

Quote:
Quote:Question? Is there a connector avalble to join my iPad Pro and an external drive please?

Quote:I understand it has a USB 3 connection and I have external drives connected to a USB3 port on my laptop so see no reason why that should create any problems on an iPad

Unfortunately not so simple, iPad Pro has a USB C connector (Essentially a mini USB 3 port) but one of the things it will not do is talk to an external hard drive...(One of the reasons I have bypassed an iPad and have stayed with an android tablet)

I did do some research and the best way appeared to be a Wi Fi adaptor, such as the RavPower Filehub, or a wireless HD....

hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
3 Apr 2019 6:12PM
Thank you for that....Rav-Power file hub on order.

Hobbo
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
4 Apr 2019 7:37PM
You could always use an SD card reader and slot in a suitable size SD card (cheap solution) or buy a Gnarbox, which is a storage device but also wirelessly connects external hardrives. (Expensive solution)
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
6 Apr 2019 8:04PM
Ok!

i must say that Iím very impressed with the basic ...PIXELMATOR ...app for my iPad Pro..... the pro version should be available on the 19th of April.

I can also report that my very first experience of connecting my 3 terabyte external drive to my iPad-pro using the newly acquired RAVPOWER all-in-one FILEHUB ....has gone seamlessly ...I have quite a bit to learn about which RAW files it will read.

Currently I have worked on a JPEG taken circa 3 years ago at a wedding....I transferred it from my external drive to....My Photos.....from there I copied it to ...PIXELMATOR ....for adjustments/editing......

A simple task, yes....but I like to learn from the easy stages first......all of the filters and tools worked as well as expected.....

Once I get the hang of saving RAW FILES...I wonít need to fill up my iPad storage...all will be transferred to the wirelessly connected external drive....that is normally com=nnected to my main computer.

If you have one of the newer iPads, it might be worth you exploring this way of storing and editing pics, on the iPad......but before you buy anything check that your particular model is compatible with a RAVPOWER Hub.

The proof of the pudding as they say........

Hobbo150445_1554577460.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.