Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

IR Photograpy Help Needed PLease

pulsar69 17 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2009 8:45PM
Having viewed this shot
link
I am puzzled to how to acheive this , I have an IR filter , but when I use it tends to be when theres not as much light about , I cant even focus never mind get a white balance measurement through it , does it need to be brilliant sunshine to use it like this ? I just get red pictures which even when I convert to mono seem fairly ordinary..

thanks in advance

Andy
5 Jan 2009 9:35PM
Which filter do you have??

I used to have a hoya R72 and it was very hard to see through but great for b&w IR. The picture you link to is taken with a different filter that I'm not familiar with.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
5 Jan 2009 9:41PM
How much - if any - research have you done to answer your questions?

ALL the answers are out there on Google - indeed - are on this site. All you have to do is look for it. The site has an excellent 'Search' facility...

I'm sorry if this appears to be somewhat 'harsh' but, personally, I get fed up with individuals that cannot make even the most basic of efforts to answer their own questions in the first instance.

In an (very frustrated) attempt to be helpful try -

here

here

here

here

EDIT: My apologies - it's been a bad day and a friend's family has had some bad news...
Rob_Taylor 17 661 5 Wales
5 Jan 2009 10:16PM
The answers may well be there if you search but people asking questions and people providing answers provides useful information for those who may not have considered that area of photography.
I wouldn't have gone looking for info on IR but find it interesting now I see it in the recent activity list.
If you discourage people from asking questions the forums will dry up till there's only word associations or people blowing trumpets!
5 Jan 2009 10:17PM
Hi Dangermouse , its a cokin ir filter i have not sure exactly what type thats all it says on the box.

Mike - I am somewhat dumbfounded by your response to my question and looking at your folio wouldnt have expected that from an obviously experienced tog. We all have bad days and bad news but maybe its best to leave the online chat till you feel more up to it . In any case I didnt want to spend all night searching technical answers to make sense of it , the reason I ask on here is that I always get more useful responses.

I will however endeavour to read the links you have posted and thanks for taking the time to do so.

Oh and I am not an 'individual' , my name is Andrew. We are not in the forces now.

Best regards
Andrew Davies
5 Jan 2009 10:18PM
Well said Andrew ....I wouldn't have been so polite!
5 Jan 2009 10:29PM
Lol Bobsy , no need to fall to that level , I can think nasty thoughts but everyone has off days I suppose
5 Jan 2009 10:31PM
ps bobsy , your pf is stunning , tree of life - what a shot !
5 Jan 2009 10:53PM
Thanks Andrew, good luck with the IR ....something I hope to have a go at myself some day Smile
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2009 1:11AM
Actually Mikes links were very good. I had been thinking about IR photography, and the first link takes me to an article on using the same camera ans lens set up I have.

Thanks grumpy old Mike Smile.
brm 17 76
6 Jan 2009 8:44AM

Quote:Having viewed this shot
I am puzzled to how to acheive this , I have an IR filter , but when I use it tends to be when theres not as much light about , I cant even focus never mind get a white balance measurement through it , does it need to be brilliant sunshine to use it like this ? I just get red pictures which even when I convert to mono seem fairly ordinary..

I guess I can answer this, as it's my shot!

You just need to set up a shot of some grass, put the filter on & take the shot - you'll have to guess at the exposure but if you've used the filter before you'll have a rough idea of what it is anyway. Then you just set the camera to use that photo as the custom white balance and away you go, at least that's what I do with my 350D.

I wouldn't bother shooting IR in RAW mode - most converters only go down to a colour temp of 2000 or so and using the custom white balance will set it much lower than that normally.
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
6 Jan 2009 5:27PM
MArk
9 Jan 2009 11:01AM
I do quite alot of IR work and the way I have learnt to do it is by trail and error.

I tend to compose shot, leave camera on tripod, switch to manual focus and bulb mode, attached cable release to digital camera and then expose, dependant on light and conditions i have being doing exposures of 15-17 minutes but the results are fantasic.

This is then post edited in Photoshop to convert to black and white.

Unfortuanlty i have broken my cable release so ordered a new one from ebay and just waiting for it to turn up.

I use a kood IR 72mm filter

just have some patience and keep trying its defianlty worth it
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
9 Jan 2009 11:53AM
Yep, go on give it a go. Widen your experience of light and photography in general. Smile Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.