Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Is a desire for recognition distorting our photography?

georgehopkins 11 112 England
11 Mar 2016 10:55AM
Agree with the poster just before me, I've seen some great images on here which doesn't seem to get the right balance of votes for the quality of image presented in the general gallery. On the other scale there are poor technical images, with poor composition, weak perspective, out of focus etc which have 50+ votes, the majority of these are very much based on how many followers, friends etc.
I too am thinking of submitting less images or turning the voting off, having followers is great to get to know people in the photographic community, but in my individual opinion, its distorting quality in favour of the quantity of likes.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Mar 2016 11:08AM
For me, the benefit of this site is to view other people's images as a source of inspiration and motivation - it is only reasonable to participate by sharing one's own images. It may be true that it is tempting to chase "likes" on a site such as ours, but no-one is obliged to do so...
davidburleson 13 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2016 11:29AM
In my opinion, it's all down to trends. It's trendy to throw the background out of focus, apply a bit of hdr or adjust the colours in a way that gives the photos a less saturated, almost sun faded look. Alot of these driven by social media and advancements in software and camera technology.

But this all depends on what genre of photography you are following. For me, I i'd like to see minimalist futuristic photography emerge as a popular trend.

Trends aren't a bad thing, it lets you experiment and try new styles of photography to add to your arsenal for the future.

There's a time and place for a purist photo, and there is a time and place for a more artistic and manipulated shot.

Some users will follow trends, while others will find ways to stand out...by not conforming. Do whatever you want, neither is wrong or right.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
11 Mar 2016 5:49PM
Imo, you're all right, there is no set way of having to do things, unless of course you are a professional. Learn the rules, develop your skills, gain experience, and then do it your way, what you enjoy. If what you do doesn't conform to someone else's way of doing things, or looking at things, are you really going to change because of that? Critique is great, but all it is is someone else's opinion, and you take from it what you want, or need. That's one of the great things about photography, you can express yourself, and you don't have to be one of the flock. If you want to emulate someone, do it. If you want to follow trends, that's your business. If you post your images for critique, or to find out if others like them, who has the right to criticise you? No one. The point I'm trying to make is that anyone, from a child to a senior, and there are many of us on here, seniors, I mean, can participate and get pleasure from doing something that is so flexible, that everybody fits in. There will always be those who feel their way is the only way, and feel the need to remind us frequently. However, it isn't a religion, we don't go door to door passing out pamphlets promoting what we believe to be the only way to do photography, or the right way to do it. Photography is a break from the everyday grind of organisation and conforming. There!Grin
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
12 Mar 2016 6:20AM

Quote:Critique is great, but all it is is someone else's opinion, and you take from it what you want, or need.

Not entirely true, is it? Critique is important, and helps us develop discipline in our photography. As far as it being someone else's opinion, I was thinking in terms of composition, editing, etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.