Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

Is HDR considered cheating?

RokGeetar 11 202 England
12 Feb 2009 8:37AM
I asked this question on another (now defunct) forum and it generated some good discussion.

I have seen many stunning HDR images around the web, and it always seems to be the case that either the author states 'this is an HDR image' or someone else comments 'that's HDR'. Almost as if it's cheating.

I've come to the conclusion that it is just another method of post-processing and delivering what the photographer saw at the time of capture. Maybe one day we will have HDR sensors in our DSLRs, who knows.

Interested to hear what you guys think.

Cheers
Neil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 8:44AM
Its been discussed many times before.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 8:48AM

Quote:Is HDR considered cheating?

Only by those who can't do it. Wink
RokGeetar 11 202 England
12 Feb 2009 8:59AM
Hmm, I tried the forum search function before I posted and it was screwed. Honest Wink I'll delete my cookies and try again.

Sorry for any duplication!

Neil
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 9:00AM
Don't worry. With HDR threads you have to take 4 or 5 of them to get the entire range of opinions, then you blend them to get the result.
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 9:10AM
Excellent Grin
conrad 15 10.9k 116
12 Feb 2009 9:13AM

Quote:Don't worry. With HDR threads you have to take 4 or 5 of them to get the entire range of opinions, then you blend them to get the result.

ROTFL!
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
12 Feb 2009 9:14AM
Very good Ian. Grin

Quote:I've come to the conclusion that it is just another method of post-processing and delivering what the photographer saw at the time of capture

Except you still have to capture the original images in camera first so, with that in mind, I'm happy using it as a perfectly legitimate technique. Smile
GreyMoonRising 11 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 9:33AM
I have no idea what HDR is as I have only just switched from velvia to Digital fairly recently. I have at times cloned out some details in my photos and do not consider it cheating...raindrops on my lens that managed to show up by the way.

Seems to be multiple exposure those HDRs? something I never do with Digital or film to be honest...
SteveCharles 17 2.3k 18 England
12 Feb 2009 9:38AM

Quote:I've come to the conclusion that it is just another method of post-processing and delivering what the photographer saw at the time of capture.

Used as intended, yes. Although looking at a lot of HDR images, if it's delivering what the photographer saw at the time, I can only assume they were on some serious drugs.
conrad 15 10.9k 116
12 Feb 2009 9:41AM
LOL! I can see where that comment is coming from...

But it can help a lot. My last upload was done with the help of hdr (from differently processed versions of one shot). I don't think it looks too unrealistic, and it is pretty much what I was after, so I'm happy.
GreyMoonRising 11 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:06AM
On second thoughts...It is Cheating.

A method used by Chancers, Cheats and No Hopers.

Tongue

I can hear the sound of running feet and an angry mob...
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
12 Feb 2009 10:10AM

Quote:I can hear the sound of running feet and an angry mob...

Nope.

If you can come up with a perfectly exposed, one shot way of shooting directly into the rising sun (as an example) then I'm all ears.
GreyMoonRising 11 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:14AM
Take your photo before the sun rises fully or when it's low in the sky?

ie when there is no flare...
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
12 Feb 2009 10:14AM

Quote:If you can come up with a perfectly exposed, one shot way of shooting directly into the rising sun (as an example) then I'm all ears

Use a grad? Wait for some wispy cloud-cover?

It's not rocket-science....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.