Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ticket discount with EZPTPS18 for The Photography Show 2018

Is it a Bridge too far for Olympus

14 Jan 2018 9:42AM
Have Olympus given up on Bridge cameras, and just relying on super zoom compacts. The Stylus 1s being the last they made.
Bridge cameras from the other manufacturers are a thriving format yet Olympus are not in the Bridge club.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
3 2.1k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2018 9:54AM
Ok I'm an Olympus user (for very many years).
Having had a OM film camera when I moved to digital I tried a few Olympus Bridge (a Fuji or 2) and ended up with the Stylus 1 - a lovely camera.

But...

My OMD E-M10 with the 14-45 pancake would be about the same size/weight etc, has a bigger sensor (not sure about pixel density) and is a little more versatile in that you can bolt on other lenses.
So a bit of a conflict and internal manufacturer competition.

Given the expense of producing and supplying two units with not much difference in size and weight what would you do.

They have successfully produced a mirrorless interchangable unit in the bridge camera user/sales zone.

I'll agree an OMD E-M10 isn't cheap - but then neither was my Stylus 1.

15 Jan 2018 8:37AM
Hi Dave, I moved over to a Panny FZ3330 Bridge last year as I was finding carting a body and lenses round, my shoulder was starting to complain, I just wanted a camera that was versatile and an all in one package, the lens on the FZ330 is a Leica Vario-Elmarit zoom constant F/2.8 from 25-600, I can go out on a field trip to photo wild life and some flying aviation at air shows. OK, the sensor is small but at 12mp and the leica lens more than makes up for it.

I still have my old Oly E-510 with 14-54 and a E-410 with 14-42, both take superb Jegs which is all i'm bothered with these days. I also have a Mk 1 EM-10 with a Panny 12-32 and that also takes superb Jpegs, but the FZ330 is more or less covering what all these cameras do in one package. I just wondered if Olympus are going to continue with their Stylus Bridge cameras as there has been no new models since 2015. A compact Bridge for holidays abroad would be ideal, and a EVF very preferable

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.