GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

is it time to give up?

PatriciaWilson 15 615 58 Greece
2 Mar 2011 6:47PM
I'm looking for a little advise and honesty and deliberately chose the professorial end of the forum for this reason.
I'm an amateur photographer and only started taking photography seriously when I joined epz.
My camera, a 1Dmkii is on it's last legs, and I have a good range of lenses, and now I'm considering giving it all up.
I thought I'd let fate decide and if I didn't win anything in the xmas draw, I'd throw the towel in. I just looked and I didn't... but then, dam it all, I got an email from Getty inviting me to submit 35 images to them that they had seen on my website.

I'm fully booked with weddings on the Greek islands for this year and part of next, and I do sell some travel images with stock libraries (but not that many), I suspect I'm crap and only sell to people who know less than me about photography, although I have sold some to Nat. Geographic.

I wondered if any one could tell me if they thought there was a right time to bin the camera and give it up?
Also if anyone else had had this sort of invitation from Getty?

Should I invest in another top of the range camera, or swan off on a cruise with my husband (We are both in our sixties).

Any views appreciated,
Patricia.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
2 Mar 2011 6:55PM

Quote:Should I invest in another top of the range camera, or swan off on a cruise with my husband (We are both in our sixties).

Only you can decide that, know matter what anyone else says.
Ask yourself this question if i had no camera and never took another picture (would i miss that) if the answer is no then go sell your gear and be happy. On the other hand if the answer is yes then keep what you have for now and give it time before making any decision. We all have times of doubt and feel like giving it up, but the best thing to do is have a little break and give you and the hubby some special time and then you may come back refreshed and invigourated.

Dave
Ps your shots are not crap Wink
Dave
2 Mar 2011 6:55PM

Quote:I'm looking for a little advise and honesty and deliberately chose the professorial end of the forum for this reason.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. What I meant to say was, how does a pro know when to retire?
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
2 Mar 2011 6:56PM
I'd say put the camera in a box for a little while and do something new and fresh or start up an older interest that got left to one side in the past. As people we do get bored with things, even things we greatly enjoy can become a chore at times and its perfectly fine to put it to one side and focus on something different for a while.

However I'd strongly advise that it is a case of putting it to one side rather than selling up - because a few months - weeks - years down the line you'll get that urge again to grab the camera and you'll curse yourself if you've sold all your good quality gear - its always a lot harder to build up again the second time around (unless you win the lotto).

As for the quality fact - You've sold to NAT GEO - photographically speaking that is right at the top of the achievements for many people (heck just to appear and be noticed by nat geo).
2 Mar 2011 6:57PM
im only in my late 20's so dont know about retiring Wink, but a pro i should think never gives up he just enjoys what he does without the worries
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Mar 2011 7:01PM
First of all, why are you thinking of giving up? Do you still enjoy taking photos?
User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Mar 2011 7:02PM
First observations Patricia.... You say:

Quote:I suspect I'm crap

But Getty are inviting you to submit images. Wink

You say:

Quote:I'm fully booked with weddings on the Greek islands for this year and part of next

I say: Excellent news!!

You say:

Quote:I do sell some travel images with stock libraries (but not that many)

I say:

So what? Unless you are pouring Gazillions of images into an agency - forget it it (unless you have a speciality of course Smile)

So... (For what it's worth)

Quote:I have a good range of lenses

Excellent!

Quote:Should I invest in another top of the range camera,

Yes. But that said... one could consider 'down-sizing' perhaps - and yet still deliver the quality required for Getty and the Weddings!!

FWIW Patricia... Wink

I wish you well. Above all - please remain a member here!! Wink

PS... I still can't type fast!! Grin
2 Mar 2011 7:03PM
Thanks, Dave. I guess the problem is deciding whether to buy the camera,or give it up. I'm not a middle of the road sort.
I need a shrink! LOL!
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Mar 2011 7:11PM

Quote:I guess the problem is deciding whether to buy the camera,or give it up

Quote:I'm fully booked with weddings on the Greek islands for this year and part of next

Surely, the answer is easy: Buy a new camera!
2 Mar 2011 7:24PM
well if thats the way
Keep them and stick with it,Trust me i got fed up of taking shots day in and day out last year and i sold some gear and i did what i liked for 7 months then the bug bit me on the bum and i was hooked again.Sadly i had lost gear but had to replace it and i have and bettered what i had to some degree.
So if in doubt still (keep it) and then carry on Wink
Dave
2 Mar 2011 7:27PM
Thanks, but I know I'm not 'good', in professorial terms. I just scrape in with stuff, and take a slightly zany view of weddings which people seem to like. And I'm lucky with my location.

It seems such a big decision, but I can't seem to find a middle of the road camera that pleases me, but also is the quality of my photography worth the outlay of thousands, I'm really not sure. And then there is the terrible thought of one day letting someone down because my IdMK2 finally packs up.

I wonder what makes a pro photographer choose to retire?
John_Frid 13 514 57 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2011 7:28PM
It is only natural to encounter periods of doubt. Even doing things you love sometimes becomes a chore, and if that state lasts too long it inevitably leads you to question whether it is time to throw in the towel. This is probably the most difficult time to make a rational decision as you are at a very negative point. Somehow you need to step away from the routine you have gotten into - this may mean putting the camera aside for a while, or it may mean looking for new challenges - either way it probably doesn't mean selling all your kit.

Assuming that you don't need the cash from selling up, then I would recommend taking a break and letting something else occupy your time (which may be that cruise), and then in six months or so reassess how you feel. The passion may be back, or it may well and truly have left you - but at least you have a chance to make a more considered decision.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
2 Mar 2011 7:30PM
Hi Patricia. Maybe it's time to give up the pro aspect, and retire to photography as a hobby again; do without all the stress of the business end of it and go back to just doing what you want to do. Choose the lenses you know you'll want to use, get a good camera body, and take that holiday. Whatever you do, all the best to you.

Denny
scottishphototours 15 2.6k 2
2 Mar 2011 8:01PM
Patricia,

Congrats on the Nat Geo and Getty news - good news.

I think you'd be doing your wedding clients a disservice by turning up with one camera and no backup. So, for the bookings you have already have booked, make sure you don't let them down and get that body. You could finance it as a lease (Photolease?) or you could just buy with a view to selling it later. With the new developments in tech, the 5DII maybe something like that would open up new avenues for you. You could use the great evening skies you get out there and do some strobist work to add another element to your wedding images - learning a new skill is often a good way of keeping your interest alive!

Have you thought about selling the business? - your business is worth money to someone else as you have bookings, so look at that too. Better doing this than turning up with no interest in the job.

Personally, I hope not to have the pressure of bookings in my 60's...

Andy.
2 Mar 2011 8:01PM
Thanks, Denny, John, Dave, Mike, Overread and Colslaw, the comments and advice are making me analyze my own motives.

I'll read through them again in the morning.
Thanks again and goodnight from Crete,
Patricia, X

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.