Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Is the 'Auto Resolution' when saving images, the best?

manhattan88 19 14
4 Mar 2002 4:14PM
Hi folks!
Seeking words of wisdom again.
After fiddling about with my JPEG straight-from-the-camera images (cropping, contrast etc) its time to save them! I need to know if what I am doing is wise or even correct!

I go into 'Image Size' first and resize my images down to 8in x 6in. I do this for no other reason than the fact that most people seem to like 8in x 6in on their mantel piece! Then I hit the Auto-Resolution button which automatically gives me 266pixels/inch. I figured that might be better than the 72pixels/inch which was already in the box! I also tick the box which gives me 'best' auto resolution.
I save it as a JPEG at maximum quality (12 on the sliding scale) and I tick ICC profile: Adobe (1998).
Would anyone like to tell me how foolish I am being or if what I'm doing is ok? I'm just keen to save the image as optimally as possible in case of the need for 20x16 enlargements in the future!!

Many thanks!
David
Bramble 19 10
6 Mar 2002 8:24PM
Where are you getting this 'Auto-Resolution', I haven't seen that in Adobe Photoshop. Anway, I save my jpeg pics from the camera, immediately as a Photoshop File and then go from there and do your adjustments: I usually only do, crop, levels and maybe a bit of Gaussian Blur on the background, save the file as a psd and also a jpeg version for email, etc. Don't forget that every time you save the jpeg file it deteriorates, don't save it more than necessary, do all your adjustments on a psd file, then save it as a jpeg. Your size is a longer story: look at Image/Image Size...... do not choose resample image but choose the various resolutions and watch your print size change accordingly. It is rare when you want to resample, very rare!
Mo
Stephen 19 33
9 Mar 2002 1:52PM
Let me give you one of the best pieces of advice you are ever likely to hear about working with digital camera files.

As soon as you have downloaded your images from your camera into a folder on your PC, Copy the whole folder to a CD without doing ANYTHING to them.

Your files from the camera are your 'negatives' and should be saved as such without any alteration.

You should then select files to work on and adjust as you feel necessary, save them as a Tiff or PSD file for working on, when youhave finished put them in another folder and save them to the CD again. You can if you want, delete them all from your hard drive.

Auto reso;ution is OK I suppose, I don't have a problem with it. However if you use a DTP program to print from, it is easy to size the pictures on the page without having altered the ppi in Photoshop. You therefore do not need to change from 72ppi, just import the file after adjusting for colour etc, size to anything within the limits of what you know to give a good print, and print from that...easy peasy

One final thing, you will not get 20x16's without some interpolation, if you are only getting 8x6 at 266ppi., so really there is no need to worry about that.

Stephen

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.