ADVERTISEMENT
Save 10% On Your First Order With WhiteWall. Use Code: EPWW10

Is the Gallery of Excellence getting to large?

pamelajean Plus
16 1.8k 2275 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 9:08PM
Does anyone agree that the Gallery of Excellence is getting too large? It takes ages to go through all the challenges now. I am using the bookmarking option but I still can't resist going into the others to see what's happening.
Also, some challenges seem to be "stuck" and don't alter at all.
Should some have a winner announced and be removed?
ade_mcfade 18 15.2k 216 England
11 Oct 2006 9:19PM
yeah - it's too popular for its own good.

Also, you seen how many "unchalleneged" photos there are.

Some fairly obscure subjects there.

May post one of

"My cat, Keith, asleep in my spare room"

Sure that will get the challenges flooding in
culturedcanvas 17 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 9:20PM
Ade .. thats fair enough .. but can i come and photo your cat ?? If not then its a bit unfair !
sidaorb 16 3.9k 2 England
11 Oct 2006 9:24PM
I do think that some of the challenges are SO obscure that there is very little chance of them being 'challenged'.

I am also wondering wether a 6-8 week time scale be added and maybe then the challenge removed and a table updated with the challenge title, winners name and link to winning photo.

Carl
JJGEE 17 8.0k 18 England
11 Oct 2006 9:25PM
Yes - there are quite a few, some are being challenged quite a bit whilst some hardly at all.

I think there needs to be some sort of index - Alphabetical by challenge title perhaps, so that you can easily select which ones to look at.

Also, I vaguely recall Pete was going to review / cull some of the more obscure ones.
andytvcams 20 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 9:28PM

Quote:Keith, asleep in my spare room"

I think we have a photo somewhere Smile
Big Bri 21 16.7k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 9:40PM
OK, everyone round to Ade's.....

(grabs camera and heads for the car)
pamelajean Plus
16 1.8k 2275 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 10:34PM
1. As for unchallenged photos on obscure subjects, perhaps Pete could look again into the idea of reviewing/culling some.

2. I like the idea of a time scale for a challenge to be operative, then removed and the winner declared.

3. The idea of the challenges being listed alphabetically is very appealing to my orderly mind, and I would be doing that myself if the facility were available. At present each new challenge appears at the beginning, so that might prove a problem if you want to see what new challenges have arrived, if they were alphabetical.
JJGEE 17 8.0k 18 England
12 Oct 2006 7:21AM
Time Limit - Not a good idea ?

Looking through the challenges has given me some ideas to look out for, perhaps subjects I usually give a miss.

I believe the concpet was to encourage us all to try and better the current uploads so time is needed.

Also, as some of them are seasonal in content having a time limit is possibly not a good idea and will result in people just looking through their filing system to see what they already have.
Carabosse Plus
19 42.9k 270 England
12 Oct 2006 11:32AM
GoE is an idea which was good in theory, but I have to say I think the major flaw was allowing people to set their own categories.

The EPZ Team should have decided on the categories - perhaps following those already in place in the Reader Gallery. Then everyone could strive to get the best in each category and the number would be fixed.

I'm sure I am not alone in having, in my own work, occasionally had to scrap an idea and start afresh. This could be such an occasion for EPZ. Smile
Mixpix 18 1.1k England
12 Oct 2006 11:37AM
Don't agree with time limits as the next day a better image could come along.

One thing that gets me is some of the challenges, one that comes to mind is called Crisp Crisp, two people have asked what the cheallenge actually is on the photo, its a photo of a cat, a good photo I think but how any of us could actually photograph crisp crisp and challenge it is beyond me unless there are any catnappers out there.
joolsb 18 27.1k 38 Switzerland
12 Oct 2006 11:43AM
I think there should be something in place to dissuade people from setting challenges which nobody else has the possibility of entering. Perhaps a warning that such challenges will be removed would be enough?

I'm very much in favour of people setting challenges themselves - it keeps things interesting.
Fishnet 18 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2006 11:50AM
I will own up and confess that I haven't quite understood what the Gallery of Excellence is all about due to the fact that I keep seeing challenges that are impossible to enter, i.e 'My dog chasing a ball around my garden' kind of thing, so I'm relieved to hear that others find them silly too, I thought I was missing something.
shaun 19 368 England
12 Oct 2006 12:10PM
Have to agree with CB here - "the Team" should select the categories. Perhaps there could be some channel to allow us lesser mortals to suggest new categories for consideration.
Pete 21 18.8k 97 England
12 Oct 2006 12:18PM

Quote:I keep seeing challenges that are impossible to enter, i.e 'My dog chasing a ball around my garden'

We do give guidelines...all challenges should be achiveable...this example could be as specific as "A dog chasing a ball around" which would be an interesting challenge.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.