30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Is the new Doctor Who any good?

spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
27 Mar 2005 1:32PM

Quote:it should be on for an hour though, i agree that it had a bit of a squeezed into a space too small

There are a number of 2 part stories throughout the series.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2005 1:43PM
Well we gave it the ultimate test, would our 10 year old stay glued to the seat, answer most definitely yes, even the teenager sat transfixed and the youngest had to watch it again tonight on BBC3. I would love to see the old cliff hanger endings again, but otherwise it was fairly spot on.

One worrying though, why was it, as I saw the trailer for the next episode, the theme tune for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy started rattling through my head. If the aliens are humorised to much it may be to its detriment.

I Have booked the back of the sofa for next Saturday, the kids think it uncool but I still think its the best way to watch.
flossie 17 1.6k
27 Mar 2005 1:54PM
I hated it as a kid ...my brother always made me watch it (in those days we only had one tele in the house, not one in every room!)
My kids were glued to it from start to finish, must admit I quite enjoyed it too. Think we may have actually found a programme that me and my hubby both like?? that's a first.
...oh, and the kids loved the burb from the wheelie bin :o)
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2005 2:01PM
When I was a kid my Mum ruled the TV and anything which wasn't considered to be sufficiently intellectual wasn't allowed, so I never got to see the early series.

I was really looking forward to this one and have to say it didn't disappoint. There are too many programs which take themselves far too seriously, I'm very glad this isn't one of them.

Ian
Falconer 16 16
28 Mar 2005 4:36AM
Finally some class on our telly instead of all the reality shows! I was spoilt for choice for good tv when I was a kid to occupy my time - Doctor Who, Blake 7, Knight Rider, Airwolf, A Team, Day of the Triffids, Tripods, V, Dukes of Hazard, Chips, Magnum PI, Fall Guy etc, maybe kids interviewed on the streets at night would stop saying they are bored with nothing to do if there was more like Doctor Who! The new one has kept all the good incredients with a splash of 21st century, love it
User_Removed 16 117
28 Mar 2005 6:57AM
I though that CE was excellent as the new Dr. Who he is a brillant actor anyway.

Like the fact that the 1st episode set the scene of how Rose joined the Doctor.

How sad am I? I can actually remember the very first episode in 1963 with William Hartnell and those big Bluebottle flies in the sink the size of humans and gaint woodlice looking creatures.

GS
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
28 Mar 2005 7:04AM
A northerner as the Doctor - got to be a sign of progress!

The first episode was your typical scene setter, most new shows have them, so it did cram a lot in. Saw CE on Jonathan Ross's show and he said that the episodes get stronger as it progresses.

I prefer the "one story per episode" format. Nothing worse than watching the first 3 parts then missing the last oned like I used to do as a kid!

The music gave it an upbeat feel - quite of its era, almost like Jean Michel Jarre in parts.

The CGI was very slick for any TV show, let alone the BBC! Wobbley sets are all very well and good if we're being nostalgic, but
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
28 Mar 2005 7:10AM
A northerner as the Doctor - got to be a sign of progress!

The first episode was your typical scene setter, most new shows have them, so it did cram a lot in. Saw CE on Jonathan Ross's show and he said that the episodes get stronger as it progresses.

I prefer the "one story per episode" format. Nothing worse than watching the first 3 parts then missing the last oned like I used to do as a kid!

The music gave it an upbeat feel - quite of its era, almost like Jean Michel Jarre in parts.

The CGI was very slick for any TV show, let alone the BBC! Wobbly sets are all very well and good if we're being nostalgic, but nostalgia is over rated - sure people hark back to how wonderful a miriad of things used to be, but having watched The A Team recently, I realised that it was excellent at the time.... but cheesy as hell now.

So thumbs up from me. Top actor in Mr Eccleston, top totty in Billy Piper, nice tunes and some very nice visuals - just hope the stories hold up.
jonjeds 17 509
28 Mar 2005 9:08AM
It was worth it just for the anticipation of the theme tune and the opening titles. Good job there I thought.

Not sure about the American style explanations of everything in words of one syllable so people can understand. Time And Relative Dimensions In Space? Before we know it they'll be telling everybody how the Daleks got their name. (well kept secret amongst fans - I'd like to be able to tell you but it's against the law)

Eccleston was Ok and I think he'll get better when he settles down. Jury still out on the girl.

Story in one episode - not sure about this. When I was a kid I knew pretty much where I would be at certain times; Saturday night in front of the telly, Sunday night in the bath, etc. So you could be fairly sure of catching the next episode. Things have changed these days though. Never know when I'm going to be home or what I'll be doing from one day to the next.

Didn't like the story line of how the girl gets involved. Traditionally she would have accidentally blundered into the tardis just as it took off. Then, when trying to take her back, the tardis was so unreliable it would have landed on the other side of the Universe smack bang in the middle of some green bubble wrap people planning to destroy the Earth.

Kids loved it and we're all looking forward to next week.
Phoenix 20 1.9k England
28 Mar 2005 12:52PM

Quote:not to mention the awful Bonny Langford

No, please don't mentio . . . . . . . Damn, too late, You just did !!
tim franklin 17 2.7k
28 Mar 2005 1:53PM

Quote:Traditionally she would have accidentally blundered into the tardis just as it took off.

IIRC, that only happened with Ian & Barbara at the beginning, and then with Dodo Chaplet, who did indeed wander into the Tardis - looking to make a phone call - at the end of a story she wasn't otherwise involved in (The Massacre)
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
28 Mar 2005 2:14PM
Is there anything you don't know about Doctor Who?
tim franklin 17 2.7k
28 Mar 2005 9:54PM
Plenty! :0)
adonoghue 17 522 England
29 Mar 2005 12:19AM
Well - for what its worth, I enjoyed the first episode - even though it was cringworthy in places, especially with the man-eating wheelie bin - and look forward to the rest!
jonjeds 17 509
29 Mar 2005 2:43PM
Do anything three times in our house and it's a tradition. I was going to say blundered in or stowed away but I got side tracked. That would have made it at least 6 or 7 by my memory which would have moved it on from tradition into being compulsory.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.