Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Is the new Doctor Who any good?

blindingphil 16 25 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2005 5:11AM
Well, I was an 80's child so I started with Peter Davison, then I next remember Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor. I'm probably going to get shouted of the forum now, but I liked Sylvester McCoy! Although I heard something yesterday about there being a 2nd series, but they're looking for a new Doctor? I'll take a look about for more on that now...

And while I'm waiting on the internet to stop being so slow, I reckon the first episode wasn't bad either. Possibly overly-cheesey, seeing as Chris Eccleston wanted to make a 'darker' Doctor... But the cheese was worth it - I don't think a very serious show would have been as good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2005/03/31/18233.shtml

That's the story about Eccleston quitting. Now, Tennant was great in Casanova, and I think he'd make a superb Doctor. I don't know how he'd work with Billie though, she may be a little too sensible for him. I'm very much looking forward to the next series already if they do cast him though!
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
1 Apr 2005 6:35AM
So the the new Doctor is already the ex-Doctor - which will make watching the rest of the series a bit weird. I haven't seen this Tennant guy in anything - his photographs make him look a bit effete, but let's wait and see.
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2005 6:38AM
From the part he played in Blackpool I can see him making a good Doc and not at all effete.

Ian
Base 16 172
7 Apr 2005 12:00AM
*BUMP*

I missed this thread first time around, any opinions on the second episode and the line-up of candidates to replace Chris Eccleston??? Tenant looks way too young, bring in Bill Nighy...! And have Billy turned into a Dalek, she sounds like one when she sings anyway Wink
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
7 Apr 2005 2:46AM
I thought episode 2 was a great improvement over the first episode - not so much self-conscious humour and Eccleston's growing on me, as is Rose. Some nice effects as well. As I mentioned above I haven't seen Tennant in anything other than photographs - he does seem rather young but so was Peter Davison and he was ok.
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
16 Apr 2005 4:53AM
It's [link=news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4396961.stm] official [/link] then. I have my doubts but let's wait and see.
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
16 Apr 2005 5:08AM
Anyone else see the programme on Russell T Davies this week (what am I thinking, it was on BBC4 so nobody saw it)? Hhe said the major difference between Dr Who and American SF series, is that in the latter everyone's part of an organisation and in uniform, working together to overcome an obstacle, but in the former there's the Doctor and his assistant, and death is always near at hand.

Ceri
16 Apr 2005 11:19AM
Ooh that was good... will have to strengthen the sofa fro next week!
ktcam 16 457 Scotland
17 Apr 2005 1:31AM
Just caught up with Doctor Who. I hated the series before but this new one kinda got me changing my mind. I like the new Doctor but he grins too much! I'd prefer someone a little more soulful. But he looks great - so what the hell!
'Rose' is cool. I expected Billie Piper to be crap but was pleasantly surprised. She can act! 21st century effects help too. That wobbly scenery in the old episodes done my head in. The whole concept of a 'Time Lord' is such a great idea and i'd love more of an indepth look at that in the series as it progressess. So glad it was made in Britain with british actors as the Americans would have turned it into a ghastly moral gun fest with bimbos et al.
Who should play the new Doctor? Well, Jude law!
mikeyc71 17 1.2k
17 Apr 2005 7:08AM
Just seen last night's episode and all I can say is .... CRAP!

Rant over.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
17 Apr 2005 7:19AM
I think Dr Who should have just remained a fond memory!
17 Apr 2005 7:33AM
Oh I dunno, I think the spirit of the 'original' has been maintained but the writing's better - much less deathless dialog, and more charcterisation - the effects are better (nice touch taking out Big Ben, and the mutated pig), a few ironic little references to other SF programmes and the Slitheen are great aliens.. whimiscal in a terrifying way, flatulent and have big goo-goo button eyes that reminded me strangely of a homicidal Pillsbury Dough Boy

Ceri
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
17 Apr 2005 7:59AM
Perhaps it's a bit early to judge.
tim franklin 17 2.7k
17 Apr 2005 10:15AM
Must admit to having big doubts during last evening's episode (mainly due to all the farting and sniggering going on), but the end of part 1 was pretty good, and helped to dispel the fears. Could have done without the "next time" bit at the end though, as it did tend to eliminate any thoughts of how is the Dr. going to get out of this (even though we know he will anyway, but....)
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
17 Apr 2005 11:54AM
Everyone hates the farting. What was RTD thinking of? Pretty good otherwise.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.