Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Is there going to be a price war???

klute 17 144
21 Apr 2004 8:06AM
Just when I was nearly over the line as to deciding whether to buy into the Canon 300D or Nikon D70, (Canon was favourite) Nikon have dropped their price. Perhaps they dropped it a while ago but I missed it.
Even Jessops have this camera at the same price as the Canon, although to be fair you can but cheaper elsewhere.
If we are going to have a price war, albeit a small one, I wish someone would let us know.
I know I shouldn't bother with all this and plunge in with whatever system, but I think I have picked the wrong time to enter the digital SLR concept.

Dave
davidc 17 313 England
21 Apr 2004 8:47AM
If your only criteria is price, rather than taking photos, perhaps you should take up pinhole photography......
User_Removed 18 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 9:05AM
Well said Dave.
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
21 Apr 2004 9:23AM
Dave, you'll find out pretty soon that the cost of the camera is only a small part of the equation - have you thought about lenses?
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
21 Apr 2004 9:30AM
As price is crucial to you, it may be worth considering whether you need a DSLR at all!

You will need at least one additional lens beyond what is sold with the camera at Jessops to match the range a decent prosumer will give you.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 9:33AM
to heck with it, just pick one and dive in!!!
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 9:37AM
The quality of the 'prosumer', or slr style cameras is so good these days, including their zoom lenses, you really do need to have a good reason for spending circa 1000 on a DSLR when you can spend 400-600 for an excellent slr style.

Ian
IanA 17 3.0k 12 England
21 Apr 2004 9:38AM
Price, to some of us, is crucial! However, even the cheapest possible DSLR will leave prosumer cameras for dead!
As Edward says, the cost of lenses is probably of more concern.
As for pinhole photography, I'll dig out the T-shirt!

Ian
chrislucas99 17 47 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 9:41AM
Whoa , whoa , whoa hang on a minute they could be even cheaper next month or you might get a better one for the same money ! The same goes for computers so there's no way I'll be buying one of those yet ! Been thinking about it for 10 years now but still holding out .
21 Apr 2004 9:53AM
I totally agree with you Ian and I would love to have one (even though it could mean going back to lugging lenses around and I would have to learn how to clean the sensor). Question is, how many of us amateurs actually need all that extra performance. If you compare the spec of the 300D and D70 with those of something like the Dimage A1/A2 the main differences really are the speed of readiness to shoot and the ISO speeds. There are obviously other things but you would need to be doing some serious stuff for them to make 400+ worth of justification.

Ian
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
21 Apr 2004 10:09AM
"Question is, how many of us amateurs actually need all that extra performance."

Whether it is essential or not, is one thing, but I sold my Fuji 602 last July and bought a Canon 10D, and there's absolutely no way I would want to go back to the Fuji. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the 602, it's a camera I greatly enjoyed, but I have so enjoyed owning the 10D, it's a big step up. (especially in price!).
Yes, there's always a better deal about, you normally find out about it just after you have made your purchase. Nobody wants to pay top dollar, but if you are continually waiting for the perfect price, you'll still be using your box brownie in ten years time. If someome had told me a few months ago that I would pay over 1,000 for a lens, let alone a camera, I'd have laughed! But I did, and I love it!
Bite the bullet, get out and buy it and enjoy it, you might be knocked down by a bus tomorrow.
Frank
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
21 Apr 2004 10:11AM
If I was doing a lot of action sports photography for example (it happens to be an area in which I have zero interest) a DSLR might be a worthwhile investment.

You will be surprised what can be achieved with a decent prosumer. I have seen indoor shots (not mine) taken on a Sony F717 at ISO 800 and was amazed by how little noise there was, even though they had not been processed in any way.

There are downsides (not just price) as well as upsides to a DSLR. Consider the range of your likely photography before you buy. There is no hurry, prices are going only one way... down!
21 Apr 2004 10:19AM
You only need to look at the photos on here to see what can be done with a non-DSLR.

Anyway, to those who buy a DSLR, enjoy and I look forward to seeing your results. I'll just stick to my prosumers until I either have more money, need something which I can't get any other way or the price differential drops.

:0)
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
21 Apr 2004 10:20AM
I bought my 10D last summer because I was too impacient to wait for the 300D. Took me three days, 50 odd emails and a dozen phone calls to find one in stock! It's still the same price today. It was a huge jump up but well worth it.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 11:17AM
It is without a doubt that that the Prosumers are capable of very good results, and there is certainly nothing wrong with them but a DSLR is a fundamentally different beast.

If you have decided that you want a DSLR, then as the saying goes accept no substitutes!

When I made the jump into digital photography, I knew it had to be a DSLR for me I wanted a true TTL viewfinder, I wanted interchangeable lenses (and I wanted those lenses to have analogue controls for both zoom and focusing). To me, a prosumer was just a no-go although I do acknowledge that this was my personal choice.

As for the 300D vs D70, well both have there pros and cons, but they seem to be pretty much on the same level overall just pick one and go!

(btw it is not always worth waiting for the prices to drop are you still using film? If so then consider the cost of the film you are using now while waiting for the digital camera)

Mattw

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.