Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is this a bargain?

adrian_w Plus
8 3.5k 4 Scotland
22 Jan 2013 11:03AM
Been vaguely thinking of getting a tablet for travel use & I saw this offer.
Is it worth buying at this price?

"For a limited time you can get this amazing 7 inch MID Android Tablet for just 69 (normally 169.95)."

V8850 CPU Android 4.04 .512 ram, 4gb flash
CPU - VIA 8850 1.5G MHZ
OS - Android 4. 04
Display - 7 inch ,16:9,800x480 Multi- Touch Capacitive Screen
Memory - 512MB DDR3
Storage - 4GB Nand flash(8GB optional)
Video - Video FormatMKV/AVI/WMV/RMVB/TS/TP/MPEG/VOB etc
Audio form - atrm,rmvb, MKV,3GP,MPG etc
WIFI - WiFi 802.11b/g
Audio Devices - Built-in speaker & microphone
Card Port - 1*TF Card,Maximum 32GB supported
Camera - 0.3 Mega Pixel
LAN - Ethernet 10/100M
HDMI Support
Battery - 3. 7V 3000 mAh Play Time : 6-8 Hours For Video
I/0USB2.0, Mini USB,DC In,Earphone Jack,HDMI,TF Card Slot
Package Charger (5V 2A) , USB cable , MID
G-sensor Support

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hali 4 44 Scotland
22 Jan 2013 11:09AM
I'm no expert, but recently having bought 2 low end tablets, I would say that the price isn't particularly special - there are a large number of similarly spec'ed tablets around that price (or cheaper). Of course I don't know the brand - if MID has a particularly good reputation, it might make it better value than some of the others.
22 Jan 2013 11:24AM
Spend a little extra is my advice and get a nexus 7 or kindle hd, them mids are cheap imports and dont always get much support for updates etc. The display alone says enough and only having 512mb ddr3 for the os to sit in is rather low.
22 Jan 2013 11:45AM
Gareth is spot on with his recommendations. Daughter has a Kindle Fire and its excellent (albeit very 'Amazon'). There are plenty of cheap tablets out there but as with the one you describe too often with very low specs. Novatech (no links just a regular customer) have a small but good range, including several by Disgo which have had good reviews. Just keep in mind that whatever the spec no two Android installs are ever the same - the variation between manufactures is legend.
lemmy 8 2.3k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 12:10PM
There's a Youtube look at it here.

It shouldn't be dismissed out of hand at that price.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 7:16PM

Quote:albeit very 'Amazon'
what does that mean? was it delivered too quickly and left with a neighbour you don't know?
pulsar69 11 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 7:48PM
In my own experience and friends buying a budget tablet is a fatal mistake and will result in hours of internet searching attempting to find drivers patches and fixes every time you want to do anything download software play games etc , a load of headaches at a cheap price , and then it will probably just refuse to boot one day ! They are built with budget parts and budget operating systems programmed by budget programmers and have little or no after support - completely false economy

I bought a motorola xoom 1 after much research and well happy at under 200 it works a treat ..

Andy
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 8:27PM

Quote: just 69 (normally 169.95

69 is probably a fair price, and it probably works alright, but it's low spec and it doesn't look like a bargain.
They might have been normally 169.95 a year ago.
22 Jan 2013 8:55PM
The specs on that don't look very good, 69 is probably a fair price but as someone else already recommended I'd spend a bit more and get a nexus 7 or a Kindle fire, you won't regret it. I brought a nexus 7 last month and I love it, it's small, fast, and has a great HD display.
adrian_w Plus
8 3.5k 4 Scotland
22 Jan 2013 10:06PM
OK, thanks guys & gals, think I'll give it a miss.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.