Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Is this a good price for a D810

pontybiker 15 216 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2016 11:21AM
Hi,

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first Nikon DSLR. I have an opportunity to buy a used D810 with a 37526 shutter count. It looks in decent condition from the photos, no visible marks. It's been used for a few weddings but mostly for shooting professional cyclists. The camera has been offered to me for £1200. A high shutter count is around 200,000 acording to most websites.

I'm interested to know your thoughts.

M

J.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 17.6k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2016 11:37AM
These choices are always a matter of opinion and others will have different opinions.

For me......... I wouldn't buy it. (Or try to get it for £much less !)
Is it body only?
The D810 came out in June 2014 and has been used professionally. I would aim for something similar (D750?) from a reputable dealer, either new or lightly used for the same sort of price with a warranty.
With a camera with that amount of use, you have to ask yourself. Has it been dropped, has it been thrown about in the boot of a car? How often has the sensor been cleaned and with how much care? How much wear in the lens mount.
But that is just an opinion.
9 Dec 2016 11:53AM
Thanks, I'm approaching the same opinion.

J.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.4k 59 Norway
9 Dec 2016 12:23PM
If buying 2nd hand, then I would only go to a dealer that was offering a warranty.
For example, my local dealer guarantees that the equipment has been professionally serviced before being offered for sale, and gives a 3 month warranty.
andybebbs 12 596 1 England
9 Dec 2016 12:46PM
you get a brand new d750 for that price, I have one great little camera
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2016 2:41PM
The D810 is an amazing camera and an excellent choice. That is a relatively low shutter count with plenty of life left in it but look around to see if it is the best price. I use mine primarily for weddings and actually use a D4 as my second. Everything about is is fabulous and being able to pull out details in low light conditions is quite simply second to none. If this has been used professionally I would suggest it should have been well looked after.

It's worth noting that you can now buy a brand shiny new one from Panamoz for just over £1700!
9 Dec 2016 2:48PM

Quote:The D810 came out in June 2014 and has been used professionally. I would aim for something similar (D750?) from a reputable dealer, either new or lightly used for the same sort of price with a warranty.
With a camera with that amount of use, you have to ask yourself. Has it been dropped, has it been thrown about in the boot of a car? How often has the sensor been cleaned and with how much care? How much wear in the lens mount.

If it has been used professionally then it is far more likely to have been looked after very well. I cannot afford to chuck around my equipment because if it does get damaged then I can't do my work.

However I would ask why it was being sold.
altitude50 15 17.6k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2016 3:47PM
Surely most professionals have back-up cameras! In general I would say that an amateur is more likely to look after their kit.Grin
Sylar 11 133 England
9 Dec 2016 3:49PM
In the nix photo magazine the d810 scores 4 out of 5. However the d750 scores 5.

9 Dec 2016 7:59PM

Quote:Surely most professionals have back-up cameras! In general I would say that an amateur is more likely to look after their kit

What an odd thing to say. I have back up cameras and always use two cameras for weddings but would never, ever treat them poorly. I do not know of any full time professional photographer who would and I know a great many! I rely on all my equipment to work at all times. That means having them serviced regularly and always kept clean. In my line of work I know instantly who the weekend warriors are as they are the ones who can afford to indulge in all the expensive stuff unlike us humble ones who scrape a full time living with photography. We could not afford to damage our equipment through neglect as it would mean no money and no mortgage payments!
4k78l 3 278 1 New Caledonia
9 Dec 2016 11:32PM
Seems like a fair deal. Some people always have to have their warranties and what nots, but such people never really dare to take a chance. What is a warranty worth anyhow, and how can you know IF something happens, WHEN it will happen. Warranties seldom cover everything, and it will cost extra. If the seller, the deal and the item seems legit, I wouldn't mind buying second hand.
But what if... If you live your whole life like that, you will never know what could be. Sometimes buying new is a wise choice, and sometimes we can all save a few quid here and there.
Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
10 Dec 2016 11:03AM
I made the switch from canon to nikon earlier this year,and i went for the D810. Its an amazing camera and i have no regrets at all doing what i did. However i purchased new from panamoz and it was around £1700 at the time,grey import ? yes,but no duties to pay and fast delivery. All come from the same production line as the rest in shops,yes the ones you pay a lot more money from here. I just did loads an loads of research and panamoz had 100% genuine reviews. I have since purchased another D810 as back up and the D500 for birding along with a 14-24,24-70 and the 200-500 from them. Hdew cameras are another good one i got 70-200 from these. I think £1200 for used one is ok,but how has it been used is the million dollar question?
12 Dec 2016 7:32PM
So the big question is, shall I go for a grey import? The price difference is unbelievable when compared to none grey import cameras! Both Panamoz and HDEW have great reviews. I can't find a bad one at the moment.

J.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
12 Dec 2016 7:37PM
I bought 'grey' when I got a Panasonic GX8 (now sold). I had no problems buying or selling. The retailer, who had a physical shop just up the road from me, offered a 5 year warranty, the first year of which was - in effect - the manufacturer's own warranty: the device would first be shipped back to its country of origin and from there to the manufacturer... at least I think that's how it worked.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy grey again BUT you need to do your homework on the warranty aspect.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Dec 2016 7:44PM
Ive always liked HDEW for having a UK based office, warehouse and shop front plus you can call them and talk to an employee in Surrey. They are very open in answering any questions you might have and will happily provide a VAT receipt if required.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.