Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Is this a good price for a D810

Diogenes 9 5 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2016 4:32PM
My 810 came from HDEW...........bought last year for around 1670.
Good communications and fast delivery. I'd use them again without hesitation.

Diogenes

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
26 Dec 2016 8:54PM

Quote:Hi,
mostly for shooting professional cyclists.

That could involve thousands of miles on the back of a motorcycle in all kinds of weather. It could have had hard use, though the price seems reasonable.
While the D750 costs less it has much less AF point screen coverage, no back button focus etc and "only" 24 MP.
What do you want to use the D810 for?
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Dec 2016 2:20PM
It's highly doubtful that the 810 has ever been backwards on a motorcycle. 😉
27 Dec 2016 9:58PM

Quote:It's highly doubtful that the 810 has ever been backwards on a motorcycle. 😉

Just to clarify there is not much market for pro sports photos on indoor tracks.
The big races, including those in the UK are covered by photographers on the pillion seat turning sideward or hoping off the motor-bike near the top of a prime climb.
If it rains all day it rains all day. Equipment does not get kid glove treatment in these shooting conditions.
27 Dec 2016 10:18PM
And how many Professional photographers do you imagine there are who are following tours with a motorcycle chauffeur and of them, how many do you think are based in the UK and using an 800 series?

28 Dec 2016 8:20AM

Quote:And how many Professional photographers do you imagine there are who are following tours with a motorcycle chauffeur and of them, how many do you think are based in the UK and using an 800 series?

28 Dec 2016 8:33AM

Quote:And how many Professional photographers do you imagine there are who are following tours with a motorcycle chauffeur and of them, how many do you think are based in the UK

Is this a relevant question?
The OP said of the D800 "but mostly for shooting professional cyclists."
There are typically 5 or so following each UK race on motor bikes; backed up by around 100 not on motorbikes split around the course.
I speculate you have not watched the Tour of Britain, or the Tour of Yorkshire, otherwise you might have a better idea of how big these events are in terms of event support and a few million spectators over several days.
There were 4 motor bike transported photographers and about 6 "official" free-lance photographers near-by when I took the shot below. I choose this vantage point to avoid crowds 8 deep despite heavy rain and no parking around for several miles.
76803_1482913879.jpg

28 Dec 2016 12:28PM
I'm well aware of the only tours in the UK to generate enough press to warrant large numbers of photographers and what they shoot with and how most professional cycling photographers in the UK will be sat at the roadside clicking away every couple of minutes as the next trialler comes through and hope they buy a shot from him.

28 Dec 2016 6:30PM

Quote:h and how most professional cycling photographers in the UK will be sat at the roadside clicking away every couple of minutes as the next trialler comes through and hope they buy a shot from him.

That is a long way from the type of race photographer I have mentioned.
Retail print booths connected with mountain bike events are uncommon these days because of the huge input needed for very little financial return.
I am not sure why you refer to "trailing" - pro events with a time trial stage in the UK are rare - and a photographer would need to photograph a lot of these to take even 2,500 shots.
The OP could ask what type of cycle racing was involved.
28 Dec 2016 7:33PM
You're making my point for me. He won't have been using the 800 on pro events, the work just isn't here in the UK. He will have been sat by roadside popping a few frames off for pennies.

No print booths just a website.

No need to warn him of the mythical use of this camera.
28 Dec 2016 7:46PM

Quote:You're making my point for me. He won't have been using the 800 on pro events, the work just isn't here in the UK. He will have been sat by roadside popping a few frames off for pennies.

No print booths just a website.

No need to warn him of the mythical use of this camera.

????
Maybe 25,000 shots "sat by the roadside"?????
28 Dec 2016 11:08PM
37,000 as it goes plus a few weddings. That's nothing. It's barely been run in and it's also why I know that it's never been used in the way you were warning him to beware of.

I do know a little bit about this game. 😉
thewilliam 11 6.1k
28 Dec 2016 11:36PM
When buying a camera, I'd look closely at the condition as well as the actuation count.

Not all owners are careful with their kit. Friends in the hire business have told me a few horror stories.

Take a look at a site like MPB and you'll see that condition isn't always proportional to the number of pictures taken.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.