WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Is this an eBay scam or genuine offer?

Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Mar 2007 12:30PM
I am trying to sell some bits and pieces over eBay, and don't have a lot of experience, so was hoping someone could help keep me on the straight and narrow . . . .

Since the listing went live I have been inundated with messages such as "we are an international trade and commerce company from china. . ." and I guess this is just something that has to be put up with unfortunately.

However, this morning I received a message from someone offering more than my reserve (but less than what I expect to make from the sale) if I 'end the auction early'.

My question is simply is this a genuine buying tactic, or is this a scam? I have no intention of ending the sale early - don't see the point, but am just curious.

Thanks

Phil.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 15 4.9k England
11 Mar 2007 12:35PM
You'll get loads of, requests for info, spam from China, offers to buy if you end early.
I usually ignore them all, apart from requests for info.
It's an auction, so that's the way I play it.
Col
ps I don't post overseas either, get loads of those. Which I do reply to.
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Mar 2007 12:36PM
Thanks Col
cambirder 16 7.2k England
11 Mar 2007 12:41PM
As for the Chinese scammers, before you delete the message hit the "reporting it" link (bottom right on the message page) and report as "This member sent me spam" that will get them kicked off.

As for your other question, people do ask this quite often, but if you agree and they then want to complete the trade off Ebay then it is a scam.

Just send them a polite reply that you wish to let the auction run.
User_Removed 15 4.9k England
11 Mar 2007 12:42PM
Forgot to say, I use Paypal, it's a bit expensive.
Fiddly setting up your bank account & credit card with them. But worth it for the peace of mind.
Just close it all down afterwards, if you only intend to sell a few bits.
Col
chelle 14 77
11 Mar 2007 5:36PM
I've got a lot of emails claiming to be from companies in China and also people who claim that they want to buy your item but need it shipping over to Nigeria or similar for their sick aunt, brother, sister, dog, etc, etc. DON'T listen to any of these emails and never send your items off before payment has cleared because you will never see your money. There are a lot of scammers out there at the moment.
Also beware of emails that are sent to your email address claiming to be from paypal saying that your account password has to be changed as a security measure. You can also get emails claiming to be from an Ebay member who is thanking you for your purchase or is supposedley irate at you not paying for an item you bought from them. These emails are not real and are meant to make you panic so that you click on the links in the email and enter your password into the spoof site (that will look identical to the ebay or paypal site). If you're not sure if an email is real or not then go to the real ebay or paypal page and log in that way to see if you have the same messages there. Also check the address bar at the top of the screen to see if it has a padlock symbol before typing in your password. If there is no padlock symbol then definitely don't type in your password. Also lastly there is an ebay toolbar that you can download from ebay which detects if you are on a spoof ebay or paypal site and flashes a warning on the screen telling you that it is fake.
Hope all this helps. 8->
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Mar 2007 7:43PM
Thanks everyone

Phil.
rodp 15 1.2k England
11 Mar 2007 7:54PM
Had a lot of trouble with the ebay tool bar bogging the machines down both at home and at work !!! Got rid of it in the end.
Rod

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.