90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Is this genuine?

cheddar-caveman 17 1.2k England
4 Dec 2020 9:30AM
I entered the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw 3 just now and half way down the page there was another competition to win an iPhone so I had a look.

Apparently I selected the correct box and "won" and was asked for a £1 postage payment which I paid from my PayPal account.

I checked my PayPal account and sure enough £1 was paid to CAPTURINGMEMORY".

ePHOTOzine, is this genuine or have I been scammed??

saltireblue Plus
10 11.4k 70 Norway
4 Dec 2020 9:43AM
MIchael - I've alerted management to your post and they will be in touch, either here in the thread or by pm.
4 Dec 2020 9:58AM
It would seem that by entering this "competition" the £1 is repeatable monthly payment to a website......

Image removed because posters email address is shown.

I have contacted them to cancel my "membership so I'll see what happens....
4 Dec 2020 10:06AM
This is the email I received after entering the "c competition", the terms and conditions go on forever...........

Image removed because posters email address is shown.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.4k 70 Norway
4 Dec 2020 10:28AM
Michael -I would contact your bank as well so that they can block payments from your account to this address...
4 Dec 2020 10:34AM
I paid the £1 by my PayPal account card. I have also emptied my PayPal account after confirming the £1 had been taken out so there's nothing there for anybody to take!
4 Dec 2020 10:39AM
The majority of adverts delivered on site are provided by Google and we only have so much control of what is shown. However if I can successfully identify which advert is was I can block it.

Please don't click anything that suggests you've Won something or looks in anyway too good to be true.

ePHOTOzine doesn't intentionally serve these style Adverts, neither Google for that matter, but occasionally they slip through the net.

Please be careful on what you click and don't sign up to anything that seems suspect.

Rick
4 Dec 2020 11:01AM
I've blocked the domain for the spam advert - Capturing Memory

If anyone sees an advert of this nature, please report it with a screen grab if possible using Contact Support.
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2020 1:02PM

Quote:I paid the £1 by my PayPal account card. I have also emptied my PayPal account after confirming the £1 had been taken out so there's nothing there for anybody to take!

Just to mention but if you have an arrangement for PayPal to take money from your credit card or bank account, emptying your account doesn't prevent money being taken from those sources. Ditto repayments. If someone paid you for something via PayPal and then wanted to rescind the payment due to some imagined fault, the fact that you had moved the money from PayPal doesn't matter, since the repayment would be taken from that linked account. It truly is a jungle out there nowadays.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
4 Dec 2020 3:24PM
So they can afford to give you an expensive, high end phone but they want £1 towards the postage, 🙄🤣😕😕. Surely alarm bells must have sounded.

4 Dec 2020 3:42PM
I do not have any arrangement for PayPal to take money from my bank/credit card. I just have a PayPal card that accesses the balance in my PayPal account. No money, nothing to get!
4 Dec 2020 4:11PM

Quote:I do not have any arrangement for PayPal to take money from my bank/credit card. I just have a PayPal card that accesses the balance in my PayPal account. No money, nothing to get!
It's a shame that in English the impersonal pronoun 'one' sounds pretentious due to our absurd class system. I was referring to 'you' in the sense 'anyone' rather than personally. 'One' would better express what I meant to say but then I'd have to buy a load of corgi dogs and learn to say 'femily hice' instead of family house. 🤡
4 Dec 2020 5:17PM
No offence lemmy, quite understood.

I am however going to cancel my PayPal, get a replacement just as a precaution as "someone" out there has all the information needed to access the account once I put the money back into it.
6 Dec 2020 3:57PM
Just to add some info regarding the previously safe Paypal. I recently purchased an item here in Australia from a genuine company. However the genuine company only communicates via, online chat and email, no real person is ever seen or heard.
I received my tracking details and awaited my delivery. Then I received an email from 'genuine' company telling me that there had been an issue with my Paypal account and that a nominal fee of $3 had been refunded to my account. I then received an email from Paypal telling me that, genuine company, had deposited $3 in my account.
As my Paypal is linked to my bank account and no $3 appeared, I became suspicious. I did nothing, never replied to any emails by clicking reply, as then the bogus Paypal and 'genuine' company emails would be able to do, whatever fraudulent action they want to.
I am currently waiting for said geniune company to make delivery of my puchase, by the due date, give or take a couple of days. If not, I will take it up with consumer affairs.
We do live in a world where more and more, horrid, dispicable people come out of the dung heap to try and steal from others. What makes us easy prey is that they now use such small amounts of money that we are taken off guard. Take that $1 or $3 and multiply it by the introduction of electrickery (on the web) and the deceit is multiplied a thousand fold.
Stay safe
6 Dec 2020 5:29PM
At risk of straying off subject, my bank account was showing payments via my debit card of over £1,000 for council tax in Essex and a Sky TV subscription for £150. Since I live in a London borough and pay my council tax there (obviously) and have Virgin internet and TV, both payments are patently not mine.

My bank accepted immediately that the payments were not mine but I did also warn them that any inference that anyone else knew my pin or security numbers or that I had written then down somewhere or used them on insecure sites would be without foundation and unacceptable to me. They accepted that too.

One transaction was online, one was not. Leaving me with the uncomfortable knowledge that your card details can be used with no access to your bank account or security parameters.

I check my accounts regularly and always know to whom I have paid money so I picked these transaction up within a day. I simply cannot see how it can happen unless the perpetrators have inside information from bank employees or make random stabs at the numbers - most unlikely given the odds of hitting a winning combination.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.