Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Is this going too far?

dcash29 14 2.4k England
13 Apr 2020 1:27PM

Quote:
Quote:Now you're just being pedantic.

As I said . . .

As you wish

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.1k 2235 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2020 6:15PM
As an aside, here's my personal experience. I am aiming to shop no more than once a week, and am only using stores where there is reliable distancing in their queues, for entry and for the tills. For that I need to go a few miles to Hexham.

Tesco and Waitrose are close together so I have the choice, queues for tills are well managed at both, but apart from that the difference in management style is massive. Tesco seem to be relying almost entirely on their one-way system, which they are enforcing in quite a heavy-handed and inflexible manner. Staff are positioned in every aisle and they pounce on anyone who so much as turns round. There's the usual clutter of display stands and deliveries in some aisles, and combined with the positioning of staff the one-way system simply results in logjams. As soon as someone stops to browse, everyone else backs up behind them as there is no space for comfortable passing.

Add to that the fact that if you miss an item you have to go through a long loop to return to it. Shopping that would normally take me twenty minutes took nearly an hour - so I was keeping someone else out.

By contrast, Waitrose allows free circulation, but they have cleared their aisles so that comfortable distancing is easy. They have staff monitoring the queue outside, and cleaning trolley handles before allowing you to take one - neither is happening at Tesco. And the staff seem much more comfortable and less stressed.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
13 Apr 2020 6:52PM

Quote:By contrast, Waitrose allows free circulation

ASDA, Sainsbury's and Aldi are doing that here and apparently Tesco are doing the same although I haven't been in there.
ASDA has arrows made of tape on the floor and for a day or so they expected people to take notice but when a few did so, it caused, as you say, traffic jams, so although they're still on the floor, they're being ignored and everyone's getting along famously.
If you need to backtrack for any reason, you just do so.
Sainsbury's are treating us like adults and although they're operating a controlled queuing system to get in, they're relying upon people to use their common once they're inside. No marks or arrows on the floor; you can go where you please and you decide for yourself where to stand while you're waiting for a checkout.
Aldi weren't even monitoring the queue when I went past this morning and I'm told that it's business as usual inside.
Mind, inside Aldi's, it looks as if they're in the throes of some kind of disaster on a normal day!
My local joint, a Londis, is also carrying on regardless. People are queuing well away from each other but that's their doing and isn't being imposed.
Shopping's never a pleasure but at the moment, it's much better than it would ordinarily be!
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
14 Apr 2020 9:21AM

Quote:Shopping's never a pleasure but at the moment, it's much better than it would ordinarily be!

In a strange way I am also finding that.

OK, the weather has been quite good recently so queuing for around 20 minutes outside to get into Waitrose is not an issue.

Once inside one can walk around as normal but with less people, as they are only allowing 32 customers instore.

Generally they have everything I want, for some specific loaves of bread / vegetables I suppose a morning visit would be more successful but there is always some bread & veg on offer.

thewilliam2 3 1.4k
14 Apr 2020 1:47PM
This report from Huff Post suggests that not all officers in all police forces are being sensible.

https://www.aol.co.uk/living/2020/04/14/covid-19-man-wrongly-convicted-under-coronavirus-act/

The snag with spot-fines is that the checks and balances of CPS and Magistrates' Court aren't involved at all and, as these cases show, the courts sometimes just act as a rubber stamp.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
15 Apr 2020 3:34AM

Quote:You'd be pretty unfortunate to find that the shop held absolutely none of the items that you (allegedly) went in there for and I rather think that the authorities would take that point of view.

As for queuing to be allowed out, empty handed or otherwise; I've yet to encounter that.

A few weeks ago (i`ve already said this somewhere here)

I queue in line for quite some time to get into Waitrose at the end of a 12 hour shift, I even had my scrubs on me to bung straight in the machine when I got home, Fancied a full English breakfast that morning and wanted some eggs.

Waitrose ended up having no eggs, so left with a bottle of rum, bacon etc instead, at these times even a drop of rum becomes essential.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.