Issue with D7000 and Sigma 105mm Macro Lens

KevinMW 14 14 Wales
22 Jul 2011 5:21PM
Hello All, Need some advice regarding an issue I seem to have with the combination of a new D7000 and a Sigma F2.8 105mm DG Macro lens.

For some reason, when I connect the lens to the D7000 Body, the camera does not recognise the lens. It is a Nikon Mount type ( and used regularly on the D80 I upgraded from last week ).

As soon as I stick a Nikkor lens (18~70mm) on, everything is fine. Once the Sigma is fitted, I get No response from the Camera.

I have checked the lens setting to ensure everything is set correctly and also checked the lens on the D80 to ensure it still works fine there.... No Problems.

Any help or advice would be most welcome, before I start the process of contacting Nikon/Sigma directly.

Thanks, Kevin MW

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 12 6.1k
22 Jul 2011 5:49PM
You could ask the maker - Sigma rather than Nikon!
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
1 Aug 2011 10:08PM
Nikon change the way their lenses talk to their bodies from time to time.
When they do Sigma sometimes need to play catch up with some lenses.
The balance of probabilities is your lens needs an updated chip to work on a D7000.
Talk to Sigma about the issue.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
1 Aug 2011 10:40PM
I've read that with newer lenses from sigma they will even rechip for free (minus postage charge to get the lens to them) whilst older lenses might require a rechipping fee. The very old lenses might end up not supported at all by Sigma after a time, though often when they close down support spare supplies are sold to 3rd party repair groups who can (for cost) rechip

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.