Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

It Keeps Me Hanging On

SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 4:14PM
My computer regularly freezes up for about a minute or so, then it gets going again. I've plenty of memory left and I use CCleaner regularly. This happens quite a few times a day. Any ideas what might be the cause, or how to fix it?
Any ideas gratefully received.

justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
4 May 2021 4:43PM
I had a similar problem last week. Computer just became completely unresponsive and the only way to get it going again was to pull the plug.
One thing I noticed was that Chrome was sending the CPU usage to 100% and just staying there. This would explain the PC freezing. A Google search came up with solutions.
I also had other errors. So, the way I fixed it, was to do a Chkdsk on all hard drives and allow any problems to be automatically fixed. Then, for good measure, I defraged all hard drives. Touch wood, all appears fine now.
I never needed to resort to troubleshooting Chrome's plugins or reinstalling Chrome, as I had seen suggested.

Maybe worth a try doing a similar thing. Good luck.
chavender Plus
10 505 1 France
4 May 2021 4:49PM
A little more information may help identify the problem,
How much memory does the computer have?
How much unused disk space do you have on your C drive?
What programs are you running when it freezes?
Are you using the internet when it freezes?
Cheers
Bill
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 4:58PM
Thank you Justin and Bill. Will have to have a look at those tips tomorrow when my OH is around as he knows more about where to find stuff on the computer than I do. Sounds like a plan. Smile
chavender Plus
10 505 1 France
4 May 2021 5:04PM
Another thing to try Chris, when it freezes press control, alt and delete together then choose task manager and from task manager you can see the percentage of memory and cpu in use plus any programs hogging the available resources.
This can help diagnose the problem.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 5:24PM
How much memory does the computer have?
84915_1620145271.jpg

84915_1620145278.jpg

How much unused disk space do you have on your C drive?
See Above

What programs are you running when it freezes?
Only Photoshop Elements.

Are you using the internet when it freezes?
Only EPZ.

Is this any help? I use Firefox. I do all my work on the D: Drive and save it to an external G: drive and only use C: drive for programs.

Sorry if this is rubbish, but I know nothing about computers.
I noticed a Cleanup box, so perhaps I should try that.

banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4233 Canada
4 May 2021 5:30PM
Thats storage space on hard drives. Memory is the RAM installed. If you can find an ABOUT someplace for the pc it will show it.

Looks like youre running an older windows Operating System, - can you tell what it is?

Depending on the OS, if you do ctrl/alt/delete when its slow, you should be able to click CPU and see what programme is hogging the resources
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 5:32PM
Windows 10.
8GB
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4233 Canada
4 May 2021 5:33PM
Try that ctrl/alt/delete and see which programme is the culprit. 8GB is a little low, but if its been ok up until now...
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 5:34PM
OK, thanks Willie. Smile
It seems to hang mostly when I'm going through the images on EPZ.
In fact, it might Only do it then.
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4233 Canada
4 May 2021 5:37PM
Also, reset Firefox; go to options, then help. then reset (might be a similar word), then you will get an option to to a bit more, select that one. FF is notorious for needing resetting.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-firefox-settings/
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 5:43PM
Just looked that up but I'm not sure if I want to do that. It seems to change a lot of things that I don't understand. Will bear it in mind though.
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4233 Canada
4 May 2021 5:47PM
Its not as dramatic as it seems, none of you current favourites, saved site or passwords are touched. all you add-ons are reinstalled too. Its also very effective at resolving issues. I do it about once a month.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
4 May 2021 5:52PM
Right, I've just had another look and it seems that Firefox was marked as not my default browser. It always has been, but this was turned off. So I clicked on the Make it my Default button and saved it. That might do the trick.
Sometimes when we get updates and stuff things change on the computer that we don't always know about.
I'll see if doing that makes any difference.
Smile
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
5 May 2021 12:01PM
Well I've been trying hard this morning to get the computer to hang, but it's been absolutely fine (crossed fingers emoji). Smile Getting me to look at Firefox settings seems to have worked. And it seems to run faster, too.
Thank you for your help, chaps. Very much appreciated.
Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.