Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

It says something...

Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
25 Feb 2019 10:57PM
Want EPZ reviews of compact cameras?

Fill yer boots, as they say! Tongue LINK

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

25 Feb 2019 11:14PM
Where are all the P&S cameras? The most recent was last October (Fuji XF10), and the only other one in the first 20 (that's as deep as I drilled down) is the Fuji Instax Square.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
26 Feb 2019 7:59AM
Surely most cameras are point & shoot Wink
My A99II can be ... lens attached, autofocus, aperture priority ......
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
26 Feb 2019 8:10AM

Quote:Want EPZ reviews of compact cameras?

Fill yer boots, as they say! Tongue LINK

These 'compacts' are what I would call P&S cameras. If they are not, can someone tell me what the difference is?
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2019 8:18AM
My Grandson sent me a picture he'd taken with his phone.
At his age I'd already graduated to a Zenit E.

As in a previous post (Dark Lord I think) phone are today's equivalent of 110 or Polaroid cameras.

If this type of photography leads people into a bigger and better interest then that can't be a bad thing.

There are many types of car that all achieve the objective of going from A to B - we don't worry about a new Ford Fiesta threatening the end of Ferarri.
altitude50 14 15.2k United Kingdom
26 Feb 2019 8:55AM
The expression P&S reminds me of an occasion in my youth, I was working in a builder's office and at the time was in a trade exhibition hall. A couple were looking at ceramic bathroom ware., they were discussing the fitting of their new lavatory (toilet) item and the man said 'do we want it for P or S....?' she said 'oh both dear!'

(P & S refers to the different angles of the effluent pipe at the back of the toilet.)
pink Plus
15 5.9k 7 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2019 9:17AM
I donít have a problem with people using their mobile phones as cameras, each to their own, I find the experience of using a phone for taking images quite Ďsterileí and non-immersive, as a long time user of cameras with viewfinders I like to compose through a viewfinder and make the adjustment to exposure, focus points etc as I have the camera up to my eye, itís just part of the whole process, sometimes in todayís mad world it is nice to slow down and enjoy the whole process, rather than a quick snap and move on.
I just feel (from my original post) that the site is becoming unbalanced in respect of the Ďair-timeí mobile phones are getting, after all, how many of us would change our phone just because itís got a better camera built in? Not many Iím sure.
I would like to see more articles and location based and member stories, these encourage us to go out and take pictures (by whatever medium suits) rather than the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) we can all so easily fall into!
26 Feb 2019 12:37PM
This reminds me of a game I used to play with my kids. I'd say, "If you call a dog's tail a leg, how many legs would the dog have?" The answer, at least the first few times I did it, was, "Five." "No", I'd reply, "it would still have four legs. You calling the tail a leg doesn't make it one."
dcash29 13 2.3k England
26 Feb 2019 7:44PM

Quote:Looking down on people who value the camera in their phone is not the way to go

Not sure where that ones come from?
26 Feb 2019 8:25PM

Quote:If this type of photography leads people into a bigger and better interest then that can't be a bad thing.

Totally agree but....the big question being “If”..... I’m not sure it does, today’s young folksí use of a camera-phone I think is just to share a shot with Facecrook, Instablam, etc. and move on...

One of our ladies at work told us just today that she still keeps photos - taken with a camera - in albums. She recently asked a couple of grandchildren if they wanted to see some photographs - and was asked..”What’s a photograph grandma..”? SadSad....they were then absolutely fascinated to see themselves and siblings/friends in those photos - not on a phone/tablet/laptop screen but “real life” photos...! Wink
Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
28 Feb 2019 4:20PM
I think Point & Shoot is something of an Americanism. We tend to call them Compacts in the UK.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.