It will soon be Friday the 13th - Post election day!

14 Dec 2019 5:40PM
So it begins - 24 hours later and Damian Green says we have to move towards a private insurance scheme to pay for healthcare.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 10.3k 52 Norway
14 Dec 2019 5:53PM

Quote:We all see the world in different ways, that means you may not understand or agree with the outcome - tough - get over it.

Yes, we do indeed all see the world differently.
Some think it is acceptable to have a PM who has a proven track record of lying in his jobs. I am not one of those who believe that should merely be accepted and shrugged off.

The problem with just accepting things and moving on is that it gives those who are accountable the perfect opportunity to proceed with impunity to bring in legislation that suits them and their powerful friends and which may not be for the good of the many nor the country.

There have to voices of opposition, otherwise we will very quickly cease to live in a (relatively) free democracy.
So no, I for one won't 'get over it'.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 1.8k 2149 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2019 6:18PM
The message that I am getting from the above is that we look at Johnson, see an incompetent conman, and that makes us feel better about the world because it looks so normal. So forget about any higher aspirations, that's complicated. Sod future generations.

No, I don't see any reason to shrug it off either.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2019 6:19PM

Quote:Odd that it was the working class areas in the Midlands and the North who voted the Labour Party out and those areas populated by the Eton Educated wealthy bankers and the like that voted Labour or Liberal

It's not quite like that - the stockbroker belt voted Tory as usual, inside the M25 is virtually solid Labour.

The big change is the poorest areas seem to be obsessed with getting Brexit. Why that is, is a bit of a mystery, except having been abandoned by central government for years they feel that any change is good.
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2019 12:40PM

Quote: the poorest areas seem to be obsessed with getting Brexit.
They were told how better off they would be. Just after the referendum I was told a list of reasons for leaving, which were all complete bull. But they voted for Brexit so they want Brexit and won't be satisfied until they've got it. Finally the mantra "Get Brexit Done", another piece of nonsense, is what won I think. That and fear of Corbyn. Talking to people now, there's a happy relaxed sense of it all being over, which of course it isn't. There's the quote "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard" and we're seeing that now.
mrswoolybill Plus
17 Dec 2019 5:20PM

Quote:Finally the mantra "Get Brexit Done", another piece of nonsense, is what won I think. .... Talking to people now, there's a happy relaxed sense of it all being over, which of course it isn't.

I have found this the most alarming and depressing aspect of recent months. There was increasingly the sense that people just wanted to be able to forget about the whole thing, move on, get back to the things that matter in life. (ie Strictly Come Bake Off and Christmas shopping.) Get it done and the country can go back to normal... Johnson tapped into that very cleverly.

Most Leave people I encounter (and in this northern ex-mining town I encounter relatively few) still seem to regard it as a gesture, a bit of national swagger, with no significant consequences. It's fascinating that from what one hears from them, the Nissan workers in Sunderland still totally refuse to make any connection between Brexit discussions and problems in British car manufacturing.
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
17 Dec 2019 10:14PM
Once Brexit is done, one suspects the vast majority of people won't notice any difference - well, not for a good many years anyway.

We will likely forget all about it and get on with things which affect our lives in much more direct ways. Smile

chavender Plus
9 416 1 France
17 Dec 2019 10:20PM
My worry is how it affects those of us living in other european countries.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2019 10:51PM
Against this UK brexit backdrop - Turkey is banning parts of google software on phones, Russia and China are passing laws not to have foreign tech imported.Iran is closing its borders France is implementing a Digital sales tax. Some in Scotland, Wales, Northern Island want to shrink their combined geographic size. - Is much of the world becoming overly worried about being just one giant entity. Some countries are allowing vast 'legit' bribery / corruption operations. Others phenomenal human rights abuses, by our standards.
Then also other non geographic organisations are demanding selective changes they hold dear, and the youth / gullible are being mobilised at the click of a instatwit button to believe in the next 'outrage'.
You can't please all the people all of the time, but you can get seemingly large vocal publicity for many competing causes with the leaders almost always getting wealth and or power.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2019 5:19AM
I was interested to see this yesterday (in light of the very strong opposition previously)

Quote:the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) has thrown its support behind Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plans to leave the EU with or without a Brexit trade deal come December 2020.
Often vocal in its opposition to the government's stance on a no-deal Brexit, the CBI today welcomed Johnson's decision to block any further Brexit delay, saying it offers businesses clarity.

dcash29 14 2.4k England
18 Dec 2019 9:30PM

Quote:I was interested to see this yesterday (in light of the very strong opposition previously)

Quote:the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) has thrown its support behind Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plans to leave the EU with or without a Brexit trade deal come December 2020.
Often vocal in its opposition to the government's stance on a no-deal Brexit, the CBI today welcomed Johnson's decision to block any further Brexit delay, saying it offers businesses clarity.

Possibly because nothing is worse than uncertainty
19 Dec 2019 1:23AM
Strangely the words Hamelin, piper, and pied come to mind

Ostrich was another

Oh and lemmings

Letís all hope the economic grass is greener

🤞
mrswoolybill Plus
19 Dec 2019 8:11AM

Quote:I was interested to see this yesterday (in light of the very strong opposition previously)

I tracked this quote down, to a rather slanted report in CityA.M.

The CBI's press release, dated 17 December and available on its website here , is rather less enthusiastic than indicated.

Quote:On plans for the Brexit Bill
Business has had enough of uncertainty and shares the PM's ambition for a fast EU trade deal, CBI Director Carolyn Fairbairn has said. She added:
"Firms stand ready to bring the evidence needed from factories and boardrooms across the UK to enable a good trade deal to be agreed as quickly as possible." 17 December.

ie A decent deal and the avoidance of further uncertainty are the now top priority.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.