PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Japan trip - any recommendations?

park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 5:49AM
Hi everyone,

I'm off to Japan at the end of March to try and get some great vegetation and landscape shots,
I'll be going to Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

does anyone have any ideas or examples of where in these areas might be good to get some great shots.
Bamboo forests and Tea fields are high on my list of priorities

thanks in advance

Paul
CathyI 16 344 3 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 8:18AM
Lucky you! I'd love to go back to Japan!

Not sure about bamboo and tea I have to admit but in Kyoto I can highly recommend the castle (Nijo-jo), the Philosophers' Path (including diversions to the temples and shrines along it) - and you should be just about right for the cherry blossom! - and Ginkakuji (which should not be confused with Kinkakuji! Which is also worth a visit, but a bit far out if you're on a tight schedule). Assuming you're more after "landscapes" than "cityscapes" in Tokyo, try the palace gardens and there are also various boat trips available from various starting points including Asakusa which will give you a different perspective of the city. Should the weather/light be completely pants at any time while you're there, I can highly recommend the Edo museum as a non-photographic destination… Hope that's useful! If you want to know anything more specific, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help…
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 8:31AM
Enjoy your trip Paul, I haven't been to Japan for nearly 30 years but remeber it with affection from having worked there at various times over a 4 year period.

I presume that when you are going to Hakone you mean the Hakone National Park ? If so - this link will give you some clues re: photo ops.

The area is littered with "must stop and get some shots" opportunities but be aware that it is one of the favourite places for the Japanese photographer who travel in flocks, a bit like Starlings

Have a great trip
t_downes 12 279 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 9:22AM
I have a good idea. Why not take me with you and i can carry your gear for you. Have a great time.................Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.