Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Jessops 2 xTele-converter and sigma lenses

dickiedriver 14 212 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2007 7:57PM
Does anyone know if the above converter will work with Sigma Lenses mainly the 70-300mm and the 170-500mm as am tempted by them for increased range, I have looked at the equivilent sigma converter and they will not work with my lenses so any advice here is apprecited

Thanks in advance

Richard
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2007 8:25PM
Don't bother, the results will be awful.

The 70-300 sigma is an okay lens but putting any convertor on it, let alone a doubler is asking a bit much.

Optically the 17-500 is better but i believe its maximum aperture is f6.3 at the long end - again, you'll loose 2 stops as well as the massive quality drop.

If you MUST put a TC on either of these lenses then at least try to salvage something by putting a sigma EX one on rather than a bargain basement jessops one which IMO is only suitable for use as a paper weight.
You need to accept that to get a 1000mm lens you have to spend proper money, there is a reason why decent tele lenses cost 1000 upwards!

You may think I am being an equipment snob but when you see the results you'll see I am in fact totally right!
10 Jul 2007 8:40PM
Cheers for the info sam I know I will lose some quality and f stops and would love to put an ex sigma one on but they will not work with my lenses, will try out my dads to see what sort of results I get and if no good then off to see the bank manager

Richard
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
10 Jul 2007 8:46PM
Yes they will work, however as Sam says, the results can be somewhat variable. If you can live with that, go for it.

Ade
10 Jul 2007 8:48PM
Cheers ade my work is mainly wildlife so I use a tripod alot so not to worried about shake etc but would love a bit of extra reach and do not want to break the bank getting it

Richard
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
10 Jul 2007 8:55PM
Well their is no doubt quality glass is what counts, but if money is short and like me when I first started, many moons ago, you have to watch the pennies, a x2 converter will make a difference. However their is no substitute for quality at the end of the day and you will notice the difference yourself. But as I say if you can live with it, the Jessops version works with most things....
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2007 8:55PM
Well maybe not the sigma EX one, but something decent, the jessops TC is about as cheap and nasty a they get.
10 Jul 2007 9:16PM
Thanks guys will definitley give my old mans a run first before I make up my mind so thanks

Richard
Graysta 15 1.1k England
10 Jul 2007 9:31PM
Try a Kenko 2x (see my testing a bigma) cracking converter, supports my 2.8 nikkor 80-200 all the way at 2.8 and auto focus, on the 50-500 sigma does the metrering but not focus. the shot on my p/f was manual focus but auto meter . hope this helps.

Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.